Loose.or sagging door

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed this recently, the driver's door seems to have some play in it when lifting it vertically. The passenger door is tight and basically moves the suspension when you try to lift it.

I can just let go of the passenger door and it will fully shut itself. While the driver's side isnt so neat. I looked at the hinge and it appears there is no bolts to tighten, but im not too sure.

I know some of,the older Chevy trucks were very noticably sagging. Mines not there, yet, but i dont want it any worse than it is now.

Have both/either been lubed? Are the door hinge pins replaceable?

If you put a level on a notionally horizontal surface on the truck, will the level verify it as so?

Door hinge pin bushing are worn, had the same problem with my wifes 2000 Blazer, replaced the worn bushings and no more problems.

Thanks, do I just drive them out with a hammer while someone holds the door level? Or maybe instructions accompany the parts...... Maybe pull with pliers!

The door hasnt creaked but I did hit the door jambs with chain lube/teflon spray.

I just eyed the pinstripes. On the d side it is slightly lower than, what, the cab corner, AND on the p side, the door stripe is slightly higer than the cab corner pinstripes.

2 words - Youtube. I just rehung the drivers side door on my 06 Silverado. Yours won't be exactly the same but I needed new pins and bushings, upper and lower kit. The pins had to be ground and then driven out. You'll definitely need another hand if you decide to do this yourself. You will also need some way to support ( jackstands) or hang the door while you do the work. Sounds like this is your problem and is common to this generation of chevy trucks. You may be able to loosen and retighten the supports on your door and get a little more life out the hinges but you'll have to replace them sooner or later. Good luck.

GM vehicles and hinge pin bushing replacements go hand in hand.Chrysler and Ford rarely if ever have the problem.

After you go to all this trouble, lube your hinges at every oil change and you won't have to worry about ever doing it again.

The others are right. Replace the hinge pins and bushings.

I used some J hooks in a beam in my garage with a couple of ratchet straps to hold the door.

20130616_175955_zpsqf45elyj.jpg

My solution is to just put some muscle into my drivers side door. I'm tired of working on this truck.

Im about to tackle this on my CVPI. Parts are inbound. After 8 years of being a sheriff cruiser including an unknown number of the ol' tactical 'open the door before stopping and let the door stop catch it' trick the driver door is noticeably lower and is difficult to close. Im worried about breaking the door panel pulling so hard on it to slam it; this is the only way to get it to close. Door panel breakage is a common problem also. MY worries are compounded by the fact the interior color (Denim Blue) is increasingly difficult to find and are usually already broken too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back