14 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi - oil weight/grade questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just upgraded to a 2014 Ram 2500 Hemi 5.7 yesterday. It does NOT have the MDS system. In reading the owners manual, it says:

Use 5w20 oil unless GVW is 14,000, then use 5w30.

Well, I am over 14,000 pounds with my RV, but certainly at 6,200 pounds without it. Certainly, I am not going to change my oil every time I tow...ugh:roflsquared:

SO, I am thinking that 0w30 all around my be a good middle of the road deal....anyone have any suggestions??? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
0w30 isn't in the middle. It's the same as a 5w30 but has benefits to starting in really cold environments. Since its a new truck and under warranty you need to stay with the 5w20 or 5w30 spec. Also look into any other specifications your manufacturer requires. I would be using a 5w30, there's no real noticeable differences between a 5w20 and 5w30 in terms of gas mileage anyways. You might gain .001 mpg with the 5w20.

You'll do fine to run 5W30 all the time. The 6.4 Hemi in that same truck specs a 0W-40. It's the same engine with the exception of bore/stroke/egr cooler...little stuff. Earlier versions of the 5.7 also spec'd 5W30 through 2004. The UOAs on BITOG haven't really shown to favor any one grade over the other, so go 5W30 all day long.

Last edited:
Not to disagree, but I believe that the 6.4 hemi specs 5w20 due to it having the MDS cylinder shut down system...

Every 6.4 I've seen roll off the truck has had a cap for 0W-40 regardless of application (Ram, 300, Challenger). I've yet to see one that says 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
Every 6.4 I've seen roll off the truck has had a cap for 0W-40 regardless of application (Ram, 300, Challenger). I've yet to see one that says 5W-20.

Yup.

Originally Posted By: Dodge

Engine Oil Viscosity — 6.4L Engine
Use Pennzoil Ultra™ 0W–40 engine or equivalent
MOPAR® oil meeting the Chrysler Material Standard
MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures.
The engine oil filler cap also shows the recommended
engine oil viscosity for your engine. For information on
engine oil filler cap location, refer to the “Engine Compartment”
in this section.

http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/owners/manuals/

Originally Posted By: zogg
Not to disagree, but I believe that the 6.4 hemi specs 5w20 due to it having the MDS cylinder shut down system...

Nope. No 6.4 has mds. They all call for 0w-40.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: zogg

Nope. No 6.4 has mds. They all call for 0w-40.

I believe the RAM Truck 6.4 engines do have MDS.

I think all 6.4s have the plumbing for MDS but only those bolted to an automatic make use of it. 5.7s are the same way (some trucks don't have it though), but no 6.1 has it.

5w20 will work well for you.

How many miles a year do you drive vs. how many miles do you haul your camper?

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Please give me a car with a 6.4L engine in it.

Well go purchase a Dodge Challenger Scat Pack or SRT or Charger with the 6.4L and you will have one.

Originally Posted By: Wampahoofus
I think all 6.4s have the plumbing for MDS but only those bolted to an automatic make use of it. 5.7s are the same way (some trucks don't have it though), but no 6.1 has it.

MDS isn't an option on the heavy duty trucks ie the 2500 and up models.
And I think the poster who mentioned that only the automatic tranny cars have the mds option iirc. I don't recall why but I do vaguely remember reading that manual transmission equipped vehicles don't have the mds option.

According to the RAM Chief Engineer, it is.

It's also used in the 4500 and 5500 Chassis and cab models with the 6.4 engine.

FCA Link

Originally Posted By: 02SE

FCA Link
Originally Posted By: 02SE

FCA Link

I stand corrected

Thanks for the link. I'm going to check it out now.
When my dad bought his 2014 ram/Hemi I distinctly recall the salesman saying that MDS was only available on the 1500 series.
To be honest I think mds makes the engine most appealing.
My charger for example is an 06 and has mds. With low winds,cruise set at 60 and no traffic to brake for I can get 30mpg with premium
I have a diablosport running the 91 octane tune. I don't think the tune did much for top end hp however throttle response is so much better. Even light throttle inputs translate to significant speed increases.
I tried the mpg booster tune for 1000 miles and honestly the mileage decreased vs stock tuning.
The high octane tune netted the best mpg on the highway however I feel that city mileage got worse,not that it bothers me since the increased responsiveness more than makes up for it in smiles per gallon.
Anyway mds makes my car a gas miser while highway cruising yet downshift a couple gears and smash the gas and immediately realize 400 tq sounds amazing.
I'm a mustang guy. I truly love them however I find myself looking at challengers now instead of my beloved mustangs.
And I feel every engine make should incorporate some form of cylinder deactivation. To me it's a no brainer. Immediate power when you want it and incredible fuel efficiency when you don't.
When I think about just how much power these hemi engines are capable of,yet will sip fuel until that power is commanded for.
Fantastic feat of engineering.
And I've seen YouTube vids of hemi teardowns for various upgrades and there is no wear anomalies when the cylinders are measured for taper etc.
You'd think because these engines spend a significant portion of their lives only firing on 4 cylinders that those 4 cylinders will have more wear however that doesn't seem to be the case.
Sorry mustang. I love you but until ford can engineer cylinder deactivation into their engines I'm gonna be dodge friendly.

I agree with jorton. If I didn't tow in the winter I would probably use 5w-20 and then switch it to 5w-30 in the towing season. Otherwise I would probably just keep it simple and stick with 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back