Recommended Service for Acura 6-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 2015 Acura MDX and I would like to keep it for a long time (150-200,000 miles). I would like to keep the transmission in great shape, so as not to have to replace it, so I am asking for feedback on how I should service the transmission.

I've read some people change out Honda/Acura tranny fluid every 15,000 miles, while some just follow the MM, and some do nothing at all... Any input and recommendations/experience would be appreciated.

On the Hondas I have owned, I did a simple drain and refill every 20K miles. I have a 2004 Pilot in my family that I have done this to,and at 150K it have never had a problem.

My plan on the Ody is do one drain and fill at the first oil change (5k miles) and then at 30k mile intervals starting at the oil change nearest to 30k, 60k, etc.

I've done the first change and am now at 22k miles and everything is running great. I have an oil change coming up soon, so it looks like the following oil change will also be an ATF drain and fill.

I will be using the DW-1 for the 60k mile powertrain warranty period, and then probably switch to Maxlife.

Our family's 01 Civic has its fluid drained and filled every 30k, still going at about 240k. My element only has 85k on it, but I did the first DnF at 55K, and plan to perform a DnF every 30k from here on out. I've only used OEM Z1 and now DW-1.

Given Honda's shaky auto tranny history, I'd do a D&F every 15K miles. Will be doing this very soon on my 2013 Pilot and have been doing it on my Accord since joining the infamous 6th gen tranny failure club several years back. Some may consider this overkill but it's cheap insurance.

Last edited:
I never knew Acura MDX came with 6-speed transmission :)

How times have changed! At one time when you said 5-speed (or if you are lucky, 6-speed), it always meant manual transmission. You never had to qualify it.

IF your transmission's oil pan has a drain plug,....suggest you do a drain and fill of about 3 quarts each spring before the summer heat arrives. Doing 2 - 3 drain and fills early on is beneficial in removing break-in particles that accelerate wear.

In addition, I have a powerful TM-180 magnet (from JEG's) on the bottom of each transmission oil pan and inline Magnefine filters on all vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I never knew Acura MDX came with 6-speed transmission :)

How times have changed! At one time when you said 5-speed (or if you are lucky, 6-speed), it always meant manual transmission. You never had to qualify it.

Yes, it will soon have a 9-speed auto to replace the 6-speed auto.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
IF your transmission's oil pan has a drain plug,....suggest you do a drain and fill of about 3 quarts each spring before the summer heat arrives. Doing 2 - 3 drain and fills early on is beneficial in removing break-in particles that accelerate wear.

In addition, I have a powerful TM-180 magnet (from JEG's) on the bottom of each transmission oil pan and inline Magnefine filters on all vehicles.

The drain plug has a large magnet on it, so no need to add another. I was thinking about doing 2 drain and fills at 15,000 to get the break-in particles out, then single drain and fills every 15,000 afterwards.

Originally Posted By: kjbock
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

The drain plug has a large magnet on it, so no need to add another. I was thinking about doing 2 drain and fills at 15,000 to get the break-in particles out, then single drain and fills every 15,000 afterwards.

Sounds perfect to me, even going up to 20k between the following drain and fills would be ahead of the game.

Following the minder should suffice. Most transmission failures are those that never get the fluid changed.

If you change it early and then you have problems, Honda will want to know why you changed it! If you still want to change it every 15k, then don't do that until after the warranty expires.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Following the minder should suffice. Most transmission failures are those that never get the fluid changed.

If you change it early and then you have problems, Honda will want to know why you changed it! If you still want to change it every 15k, then don't do that until after the warranty expires.

Honda doesn't need to know he changed it, the break in contamination is the most important thing to get drained out early in the transmissions life for reductions in wear.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Why would changing it at 15,000 miles create problems? I thought I read on this site that the majority of metal wear in an auto trans occurs in the first 15,000 miles. And I would not tell Acura I changed the fluid either.

Changing fluid doesn't cause problems.
Do it whenever and however often you want. A single drain/refill every year or two, or every 10k-30k is better than nothing at all. MM is useless.
Engine oil, antifreeze, diffs, xfer case, PSF.... are other fluids not to forget.

Many Honda's have an inline ATF filter. It takes a competent dealer parts clerk to find the PN. Change it every 30k too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back