Strange observation about Ballistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was cleaning one of guns today with Ballistol. I was standing outside on my deck giving it a good spray down and scrub with a toothbrush. The temperature was in the low to mid 30's (Fahr). It was spitting a wintry snow/rain mix, fairly light but steady.

Here's the weird thing - all of a sudden, I start noticing blue spots showing up on the polymer frame and the metal slide. I looked on the grass where the Ballistol was dripping or the spray had landed, and it too was blue. Anywhere the snow/rain mix was coming into contact with the Ballistol would turn into a bright, light blue.

I'm not looking for comments about my cleaning technique, why I was standing outside in the snow/rain to begin with (however, that reason is because of the smell of the Ballistol), or anything else like that. I have used Ballistol for years, and except for the aforementioned smell, really like the product. However, this little phenomenon struck me as very strange. I'm not concerned anything is being damaged or such, but am seeking if anyone else have ever had this happened or may have a clue as to why it happened. I've always heard Ballistol is made mostly of mineral spirits. Do mineral spirits and water always do this? Is there some other ingredient in the Ballistol that caused it?

ZiTS

Ballistol is designed to emulsify with water. You were probably seeing that.

The ready emulsification is main reason I don't use it. In fact, I gave my extra bottles away. It may be good for corrosive ammo and black powder applications, but why would I put an oil on my firearms that is going to mix with atmospheric moisture?

Like any firearm cleaning product, I am sure the supporters will be along shortly, but I don't trust the stuff. And Ballistol is mostly mineral oil, not spirits.

I own ballistol and have used it a few times, but dont have enough experience on it to really comment.

What I do have experience with, is cleaning tons of guns, in the comfort of my home, with non stinky and non toxic chemicals.

May I suggest M-Pro 7 gun cleaner. The stuff is fantastic, doesn't smell, and is safe to use in the comfort of your warm living room.

Rem-oil in the spray can also works decent (as a cleaning chemical) and doesn't smell too bad.

we have used ballistol for say 50 years and I would say it works well as rust preventative, I don't know about the emulsifyer and why it would cause corrosion.
However, I don't use it much anymore and that's because of the smell! My god it stinks!
And the strange thing: It is edible! But smells like poison...

Ballistol fan here. It is true ballistol mixes with water and was actually designed that way for several reasons. Ballistol like most other oils, turns a milky white when mixed with water. Blue? I have no idea why that would happen. Several cleaners including ballistol will turn a slight blue color when brass fouling is being cleaned. Could that have been why it was turning blue, who knows?

Ballistol smells bad??? Oh C'mon! Take a swig of Sambuca liquor and grow some hair on your chest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back