Anyone with a Smith SD9VE/SD40VE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one. First thing I did was the DIY trigger job that you can find on You Tube. It was an easy mod and made the trigger pull acceptable. It's a good firearm and I plan on keeping mine.

The Zastava is like a Walther P88 and a Sig 226 had a baby....not a bad combo at all.

Only bad part about it is the mags can be a bit of a trick to get at times.

Yup, I love my Zastava. The only problem I've had is a couple failure to feed with some Hornady HP ammo. JHP ammo feeds perfectly and I have put over 150 rounds through it. I have not fired a SD9VE, but I like the size of it. I just prefer some heft to a 9mm gun. Anytime my pinky is hanging off the bottom of the grip I feel like I cannot aim it as well.

While the mags are not plentiful you can find them if you look hard enough.

I checked out an SD9VE at Gander a few weeks ago. Honestly, I really like the trigger. It's butter smooth. It's heavy, sure, but it's butter smooth, which makes it easy for me to keep the gun in a straight line while pulling the trigger. It also doesn't have a stiff wall before the break. A slight wall is there, but it makes for a nice "surprise break" as you pull the trigger.

I will say, however, that the slide pull felt very gritty. The components didn't look terribly robust, and the slide stop lever felt very cheap. I understand, to some degree, the concessions made for price, but I honestly feel, comparing the SD9VE to its more expensive M&P cousins, that more is lost in the SD series than the amount of money saved.

I decided, after spending about 10 minutes with it and comparing it directly to the M&P, that I'd rather save my pennies and buy the M&P. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it in terms of it going bang-bang when you pull the trigger, and I actually LIKE its trigger, but I handle my guns a ton. Lots of dry firing, lots of slide racking drills, lots of breaking them down and cleaning them, and I just don't think I'd be happy with the fit-and-finish of the SD series, with it being my only full size handgun.

Good choice Hoke. The M&P came out right after I made my disastrous Swock purchase.. and the M&P is by all accounts a fantastic gun. Heck, that cop in Texas is in the news now for making a 100 yard shot past midnight at a perp and hitting center mass, ending a shooting rampage dead in its tracks.

Here's an honest review of the Sigma series. It mirrored my experience. The only thing the video can't convey is just how incredibly junky feeling it is.

Other Sigma videos show the absurd amount of muzzle flip too.

I'd recommend the Sigma to a gang member. Or someone who lives up near Cleveland. Or someone who drives a wrecked 2002 Accord. Or someone who sells run-down termite infested homes to fellow subprime borrowers. I'm not saying anything about any specific person, just a fictional set of attributes that merit this recommendation. Any resemblance to any persons or characters, real or imagined, are purely coincidental. It's on the same level as a Bryco-Jennings, Jimenez, or other Saturday Night Special. Heck, even a Hi-Point is better. At least the Hi-Point works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't hesitate in buying an SDVE, SD, or another Sigma. I bought the Sigma .40 in 2009 and I can't say enough good things about it. It doesn't fail and I'm very accurate with it. Right now the SDVE in 9 or 40 is $279 at my LGS. Can't really get hurt for that much. The trigger on my Sigma is heavy but smooth and easy to master. It's always funny to me how a lot of people claim to not be able to shoot it because of that. Also I love the feel of the grip on the Smiths as well. For around $300 it's a great buy. My Sigma is one of my favorite handguns to shoot and if the SDVE has a slightly lighter trigger well, cool. May need to buy the SDVE while the price is so low.

I have both an older Sigma SW9VE and the newer SD9. I purchased the Sigma SW9VE as a woods bang around gun some 8 years ago and it has become one of my favorite guns and I own many pistols of all brands. My 9VE has ove 5,600 rnds fired and has never malfunctiond in any way and the grip angle is one of the best you will find. The trigger is stiff and long but once you get use to it it works just fine. The Smith VE Sigma series corrected the problems that the early Sigma guns had and the newer SD series is an improvement over the SV sigma guns. I do recommend getting the crown on the barrel re-cut by a gunsmith as it will improve the guns accuracy significantly. It's not only on the Sigma or SD guns but on most of my guns I find it improves the accuracy.

My current pistol stash
Sig 226,229,239, 1911
Kimber 1911
Smith & Wesson SD9VE, Sigma SV9VE, 5906, 545, (other S&W 3rd gen guns I can't recall all of them off hand.) M&P 9,40 and M&P Shield 9,40
Beretta 9mm
Glock (to many to list from early to current calibers)
Ruger SR9,40 full size and also compact 9C
I prob missed some but that's about it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cx3cGMR9SaA

A late night tabletop I did a month or so ago.

I ended up selling it when I saw a S&W 39-2 for sale. You don't see those but maybe twice in a lifetime - and that's if you see a lot of guns.

Ultimately the SD shot low and I'm not a 40 guy. It is a great value, though, and possibly I'd buy the 9 version in the future.

Thanks for posting the review. I still can't get my mind off this gun. I think a lot of it is the two-tone look and the incredible value.

I still scheme to stash some cash away and find a used one for $250.

If you are looking for used ? IMO the best bargain used would be Ruger P95, but it's not as sexy looking as the Smith SD9VE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back