Vacation vehicle interval and oil rec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a lot of "low milage" threads from search, but most are vehicles driven not very far but relatively often as opposed to do driven far but not very often. I'll try to be very specific on my use:

- 2015 V6 Tacoma
- Stored in Las Vegas
- Driven about twice a year, six months apart, in desert southwest
- Driven about 500 miles on each visit, vast majority highway with some dirt roads to get to camping sites
- Driven 100 to 200 miles right before storage (two to three hours continuous driving)
- I do use a fuel stabilizer in the gas before storage

So I put at most 1000 to 1500 miles per year. The truck is stored unused for six month intervals between 500 mile trips.

I think based on that with the right oil I should be able to do at least a two year change interval. There are no cold temperature issues in Las Vegas. There is absolutely no moisture at all. The vehicle is run at temp for hours prior to storage. This seems the perfect case for extending intervals based solely on time.

Cost is not a factor, the inconvenience of doing the oil change is the problem. I live on the other side of the country from the vehicle and when I'm out using it time is at a premium. If I followed the manual (6 month interval) I would have to change the oil every time I use the truck. I'd be happy to pay ten times as much for oil if it would let me change it just half as often.

Obviously I'll do an oil analysis to validate any change interval.

What do people think is a sensible oil for this application and does an estimated two year interval seem sane? At this point I'm thinking a full synthetic. Naively I think an extended interval oil would have a better additive package and maintain TBN longer in my storage between use situation - but what do I know?

Thanks for any advice!

My most recent UOA was on PP 5W30 (API SM) that was in service for 2 years and 11,500 miles. It was still in grade and had a TBN of 3. Seems like 2 years would be a conservative and safe startpoint for your application.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
TGMO (genuine Toyota synthetic) or M1 0w-20 EP

No. His owner's manual requires 5w-30.

You're not doing anything special with this truck. Conventional Pennzoil 5w-30 (PYB) is all that you need. That being said, a 5W-30 or 10W-30 synthetic would be just fine. Take your pick.

If you're concerned about warranty issues, change it as often as required by your manual. If not, two years is just fine.

Wow, you're right, does require a 30 weight, I4 is the 20 weight.

Surprised since my 3UR-FE requires 20 weight and it's a V8.

Last edited:
Two years should be fine.

I'd use a synthetic EP motor oil like M1EP or Castrol EP.

The magnesium in these formulations should help you retain TBN for the long haul.

But squeezing a trip to your dealer annually for a free synthetic oil change might make sense while the car is still under warranty.

Welcome to BITOG.

I would do changes every two years but would use a full synthetic of the recommended weight. If an engine warranty issue ever arose, you'd be able to prove that the truck was in storage for 6 months at a time.

Cost is not a factor, the inconvenience of doing the oil change is the problem.

Based on that statement alone, I'd take it to where you bought it.

The issue is the warranty. If you want to make sure that Toyota would not have any reason to deny a warranty claim, than you need to do an oil change every six months. If however, you're not concerned about that, then I would use a quality conventional oil (Pennzoil, Quaker State, Chevron/Havoline, Mobil Super, etc. or the cheapest synthetic you can find like Super Tech), and I would change it every two years.

I don't think a two year oil change interval (OCI) would be an issue at all. In fact if you forgot to change it or didn't have time to change it, and you went 2.5 - 3 years without an oil change, that really shouldn't be a problem either. I just think once every two years is decent compromise of making sure the oil is good, and not doing it too often.

I use my other car only for long trips too.

Full synthetic, 7,600 miles or two years.
Use a good filter so it does not fall apart.
Wix, Fram Ultra, Purolator PureOne or Synthetic, etc...

As it's in warranty, use an oil that meets Toyota specs. Going to the dealer for oil changes while in warranty means they should catch and do any recalls or defect repair work for free...

I use my other car only for long trips too.

Full synthetic, 7,600 miles or two years.
Use a good filter so it does not fall apart.
Wix, Fram Ultra, Purolator PureOne or Synthetic, etc...

As it's in warranty, use an oil that meets Toyota specs. Going to the dealer for oil changes while in warranty means they should catch and do any recalls or defect repair work for free...

I have stored vehicles for 10+ years, some with intervals up to 2.5 years. You might have read some things I previously posted.

I concur with the above. Two years, easily. Personally I would go three, especially with a synthetic. Even with a three year interval with your type use the TBN wouldn't be anywhere near depleted. The fact that you drive long trips keeps that oil in near pristine condition. Search some of the UOA's here and you will see oil does not know how to tell time.

I would also use 10-30, since it might leave a slightly thicker film of oil on the internals between runs, and its perfect for long hard runs.

Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback! Surprised at so many helpful answers so fast. What a great forum.

Based on the input here I'll try for a 2 yr interval validated by testing on the first cycle or two. I'll likely just use the Toyota synthetic as I think I'll be able to get that pretty easily in the area. Otherwise I know M1 is easy to find as well.

Good point on making sure the filter is up to the interval. I'll look into that more, but having looked at some tear downs of filters online already it looks like the OEM filter from Toyota is surprisingly well designed and robust even compared to some higher priced brand name "tough" or "ultra" or other marketing buzzword filters
smile.gif

Thanks again everyone. Still pouring over the site, I'm sure I'll know way more than I ever need to know about oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back