Tacoma oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Toyotacare free oil changes ran out so I'm doing one tomorrow. I got the oem filter and some Mobil 1 0w20 AFE. Will this be good or should I have stuck with TGMO?

You have the 4-Cyl engine, right? I just sold my 4-cyl Access Cab and bought a dual cab so my kids could fit.

You can search my posts for UOAs on my 4-Cyl truck, which I just sold yesterday, that show that M1 and TGMO are about the same, performance wise.

TGMO has nothing on AFE. AFE is top shelf.

You can do better than an OEM filter, performance wise, though.

Last edited:
That should work well for you.

A lot of folks are partial to TMGO here on the forum.

It is good stuff but any major brand 0W-20 would work fine too.

The Mobil AFE line is top notch, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. Thats what I am running in my Accord now with a Fram Ultra (I would use that next if I were you, probably around the same price as an OEM filter but with much better specs). Having said that, TGMO is also excellent and is my preferred 0w20. That is what I have waiting to go in the Accord, along with a new Fram Ultra.

I actually hate posts like this but I've gotta do it. When I have taken my truck in every 5,000 miles for its free service under toyotacare, I have assumed everything was fine. But I did look at the work sheets and once I caught them using a part number for 5w30 in my truck that requires 0w20. I never asked what brand oil they were using, but this time I put in Mobil 1 0w20 AFE and I really feel like things are a bit smoother. I really hate the butt dyno posts, but I feel like the throttle response is a bit smoother and quieter. I know it's probably all in my head, but are any dealers shady and don't know what oil to put in their vehicles?

I have M1 0-20 in both Ford engines for several years now, and you won't do better than M1 0-20.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I have M1 0-20 in both Ford engines for several years now, and you won't do better than M1 0-20.

Awesome I will stick with it. I want to do 10k OCIs with it, even though the owners manual says 5k or 6 months. When do you think it would be alright to extend the OCI? I am still in warranty, but does that matter?

Also, what filters do you like?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
Originally Posted By: tig1

Awesome I will stick with it. I want to do 10k OCIs with it, even though the owners manual says 5k or 6 months. When do you think it would be alright to extend the OCI? I am still in warranty, but does that matter?

Also, what filters do you like?

I use MC in the Fords, but a quality filter like the high end Fram or M1 will serve you well for 10K. As for as the OCI. If it were mine, 10K wouldn't bother me at all under warranty, but you need to make that call.

For a filter, you can get double the capacity and better filtering from a Fram Ultra XG8A compared to stock.
I am a Pennzoil Platinum fan, but Mobil or other top-end oils are good.
I have a 2010 2.7 4x4 AC with about 82k miles. Planning on keeping it for 250k+ so keeping rings and valves clean is probably as important as lubricating if I want to avoid long-term oil usage. Pennzoil products highlight cleaning, so I am going with their marketing pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back