lubricating the Bendix drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my 110V starter out of snow blower to get access to under the gas tank. But while its in my hand maybe I should put a dab of grease where it spins out. Unsure what grease? I almost never use it. Maybe I should once or twice a year just to keep brushes in good shape.

Tacky would be better. Whatever ball joints use. Just get the outside teeth of the gear where they mesh the flywheel, the slidy part is sometimes a delicate balance of friction.

You want a thin grease. Thick will cause the bendix to stick in cold temps. I have used white lithium spray grease before. In a pinch, I have even used a few drops of motor oil.

I wouldn't put anything on it. Any grease will stiffen up and cause it to hang up. On a new unit, you would not find anything on it.

The reason I asked was I helped a neighbor bring his snowblower to a repair shop and one of the things wrong was the starter would spin but not engage. So if I could do something to prevent that while the starter is out, that would be good.

I am 61 now and not planning on using the electric starter until I am 70.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I wouldn't put anything on it. Any grease will stiffen up and cause it to hang up. On a new unit, you would not find anything on it.

Agreed. It wouldn't be ideal for grease/oil to sling around in there as well.

I know when I broke the recoil rope and had to use the E-start for the first time in many years on my MTD machine, a few solid taps to the starter was enough to free the bendix up. If things were really hung up on it, if it's possible to bench clean it and wipe-off excess lube, that's the route I'd go.

My shut-off valve came from Amazon so now I can install that and then put back the starter. A $20 part (B&S) made in China that when looking at it one would figure it at less than $5.

I will leave the starter alone except for trying it.

One of the bolts for the starter mounting bracket needed a 1/2" socket but the socket needed to be short. A normal 1/2" drive socket was too long. Luckily my 1/4" set went up to 1/2".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back