Has Ford fixed the ecoboost carbon build up issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading up on the newest 1L 3 cylinder ecoboost engine and I wonder if Ford has fixed the carbon build up issue on the intake valves? Haven't seen any reports of carbon with this engine yet. Usually the build up becomes an issue starting around 30K miles with misfires.

I think this is a bigger issue than most people realize because most people don't know what to look for. The early symptoms are hard to notice for 90% of the population who aren't car enthusiasts. Serious drive-ability issues probably won't manifest itself until after the warranty has expired.

MY 2007 Mazda CX7 had a 2.3L turbo DI engine and when I sold it at ~ 80,000 + miles, it was accelerating and running like new. In addition a UOA showed excellent wear values, even with 0.5% fuel in the oil. I think DI intake valve crud is much less a problem now than ~8 years ago. Ed

Having DI with potential carbon and fuel dilution problems makes for a good argument to use synthetic oil and think twice about extended intervals.

Im pretty sure the ford tech on youtube said the only resolution as of right now was to replace the cylinder head. He said induction service is a BIG no-no because it causes EGT's to rise or something along those lines... Also i think the issue with carbon is due to the fact that no fuel is being sprayed onto the valves. Correct me if Im wrong.

Last edited:
I actually think it might be lesser of an issue now than in the era of the VW/Audi DI engines of 5-7 years ago. They're officially in the second generation of GDI engines and some things have been fixed/modified in the interim. If you use synthetic oil, don't do short trips too often, don't idle for minutes at a time, use good gas, and don't do 8K mile OCIs, then I think you have a much higher chance of not having problems. I'm too early on with my GDI to comment but I don't consider myself an early adopter and the car still runs like new (<40K miles). I know a person who has my GDI with 105K miles in three years and no issues although that was mostly highway. I'm more interested in hearing from actual owners on this issue rather than "the sky is falling" prognosticators.

We sold our first GDi equipped vehicle with over 70k miles. No issues to speak of. Our neighbor's 2010 Kia Optima 2.4 has approximately 100k miles and runs like new. He's been using conventional oils from day one w/5000-7500 mile oci.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
I think this is a bigger issue than most people realize because most people don't know what to look for. The early symptoms are hard to notice for 90% of the population who aren't car enthusiasts. Serious drive-ability issues probably won't manifest itself until after the warranty has expired.

Well past the warranty in mine and no issues here - mileage is at 84k now. Starts every morning, idles fine and goes like stink. I've got fuel records sine day 1 and MPG is pretty consistent. So what exactly should I be looking for?

The engine has been around since 2009 and no real issues. Ford has well over 1 million Ecoboosts on the road since then and issues are not widespread.

Last edited:
I have been a Ford Truck owner for over 24 years... Once Ford went to DI engines with the EcoBoost and talk of these problems started showing up all over... I made up my mind to buy a 2014 Ram to take me into retirement. The 5.7L Hemi is reliable/durable and Port Fuel Injected... I have enough worries in life to worry about besides 1 more...

17.5mpg city & 21.4 interstate is a small plus!

It is always best to let other fools pay to work out the final bugs in a new model vehicle.

Compared to the average owner out there driving D.I. engines, members who post here are likely in the minority - having an above average priority for higher quality preventive / regular maintenance.

I don't think Fords EB engines will take a valve cleaning any sooner than anything else. Let's face it, if you short trip, idle for long periods or drive tenderly, any engine will get gummed up. Drive an engine aggressively and, if maintained, it will be better off in the long run.

I have an '11 EB F150 with 82k miles and it runs great -I just keep it well blown out. I also use A3 rated oils on 4k OCIs and premium fuel to keep LSPI ( low speed pre ignition ) at bay. So far so good ( for me anyway)....

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Compared to the average owner out there driving D.I. engines, members who post here are likely in the minority - having an above average priority for higher quality preventive / regular maintenance.

Nope, the Taurus gets oil changes at the dealer when the OLM goes off. I assume they use Ford spec bulk 5w20 (yes the early ones were 5w20 and never back-spec'ed) with a MC filter.

The F150 gets it's oil changed either when the OLM goes off or every 6 months by me with Pennzoil Platinum 5w30. I don't drive it much (10k last year) so I just want to make sure it has fresh oil.

I'm not worried - Ford, GM, Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda have it figured out. VW/Audi and BMW do too on their new designs.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I have been a Ford Truck owner for over 24 years... Once Ford went to DI engines with the EcoBoost and talk of these problems started showing up all over... I made up my mind to buy a 2014 Ram to take me into retirement. The 5.7L Hemi is reliable/durable and Port Fuel Injected... I have enough worries in life to worry about besides 1 more...

Wow...
The ignorance and irony is strong with one.

My Mazdaspeed 3 has 149,000 miles on it. I run Mobil 1 5W-30, initially using a 5,000 mile OCI. Att 83,000 miles I extended the OCI to 7,500 miles. I've had a UOA performed at every oil change since 10,000 miles and fuel dilution has never been even a minor issue.

With a Mazdaspeed CAI and a mild Hypertech tune the car is making a bit over 300 hp at the crank- along with @320 lb-ft of torque. Driveability is excellent and fuel economy averages 27 mpg or better.

I must not be a car enthusiast, as I haven't noticed the slightest problem...

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Originally Posted By: -SyN-

Wow...
The ignorance and irony is strong with one.

Yeah. There are still two port fuel n injection engines available. I'd have a hard time deciding between the 3.5na or 2.7t.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Yeah. There are still two port fuel n injection engines available. I'd have a hard time deciding between the 3.5na or 2.7t.

The Ecoboost 2.7 is direct injected like all the other Ecoboosts. The only port injected engines are the 3.5 and 5.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back