Not sure what OBD

Status
Not open for further replies.
o9hc2d.jpg

PICTURE IS UPSIDE DOWN

Alright so I got my 95 Regal a few months back. Well, today the car was acting funny was slowly accelerating. I would turn off cruise abd car would speed up (nothing significantly). Anyways once I got on the highway I set cruise to 70 and stopped paying attention next time I looked down car was doing 80. Not long after the "service engine soon" light came on. Also for the speed I was going on the highway the rpm was sitting 1/2 a grand higher then it should be/normal.

Wanted to get a scann tool but the pins don't seem to match OBD1 but it's 12 pins. Did alittle research and apparently it's a transition year and I can't really find any definitive information.

I looked at obd1 scanners and wasn't able to find one that supports my cars year. However its not a 16 pin connecter.

Any ideas. Never really encountered this before. Spent the past hour looking. Some say obd1 will work while others say obd2 with a obd1 connection. I don't really have the cash to go out and just buy everything to see what works. Anyone had this problem in the past?

94/95 GMs were a cross between OBDI and OBDII.You need a special scan tool with dedicated plug and software.Probably a used one,as this is pretty much antique now.1981-1993 you can use a paperclip,96-up is an OBDII scan tool.94/95 is HE double hockeysticks.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
94/95 GMs were a cross between OBDI and OBDII.You need a special scan tool with dedicated plug and software.Probably a used one,as this is pretty much antique now.1981-1993 you can use a paperclip,96-up is an OBDII scan tool.94/95 is [censored].

Do you know the name of it? I was looking around some said obd1.5 but when I look at them they vary a lot some appear to be 16 pin some are simply obd1

GM-1 ALDL (Assembly Line Data Link)

You can flash codes using a paper clip though just about all GM-1 ALDL's that have ECM's with removable PROM's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
GM-1 ALDL (Assembly Line Data Link)

You can flash codes using a paper clip though just about all GM-1 ALDL's.

I don't have the pins to do this. I only have A (ground) M (serial data) and D (service engine soon lamp).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

I don't have the pins to do this. I only have A (ground) M (serial data) and D (service engine soon lamp).

I see that now, No "B" pin.

On GM trucks you can flash codes on any GM-1.

I see that now, No "B" pin.

On GM trucks you can flash codes on any GM-1.

Yes, I wish it was that easy. I want to scan the code if I can but I don't want to spend $200+ on a scanner that's only good on 10 GM cars between 94-95.

Yes, I wish it was that easy. I want to scan the code if I can but I don't want to spend $200+ on a scanner that's only good on 10 GM cars between 94-95.

I hear you loud & clear on that! I have over 10K invested in scan tools if you count updates (GM Tech 2 & Snap-on MT2500)

You may be able to find a Snap-on MT2500 cheap, But with a 300+ different Cable/Adaptor/Cartridge/Key combinations....You really have to know what your looking at. E-bay sellers are out to rip you off or plain ignorant. A nice MT2500 super deluxe updated to '07 with ALL Domestic/Asian adaptors is worth $500. A basic MT2500 with say a '99 Domestic cartridge & a GM-1 adaptor runs about $150....And is expandable up to '07.

Some more info....

Your GM-1 pinout.
A-Ground
M-PCM Serial Data
J-Entertainment & Comfort Serial Data, Radio/HVAC.

Your PCM Serial Data being on Pin M means you have a 8192 baud rate serial communication speed. If you buy any software make sure it is compatible with 8192 baud rate.

I hear you loud & clear on that! I have over 10K invested in scan tools if you count updates (GM Tech 2 & Snap-on MT2500)

You may be able to find a Snap-on MT2500 cheap, But with a 300+ different Cable/Adaptor/Cartridge/Key combinations....You really have to know what your looking at. E-bay sellers are out to rip you off or plain ignorant. A nice MT2500 super deluxe updated to '07 with ALL Domestic/Asian adaptors is worth $500. A basic MT2500 with say a '99 Domestic cartridge & a GM-1 adaptor runs about $150....And is expandable up to '07.

Some more info....

Your GM-1 pinout.
A-Ground
M-PCM Serial Data
J-Entertainment & Comfort Serial Data, Radio/HVAC.

Your PCM Serial Data being on Pin M means you have a 8192 baud rate serial communication speed. If you buy any software make sure it is compatible with 8192 baud rate.

Thank you, iv never been good with theses OBDs iv spent the better part of the past 6 hours reading countless blogs,posts,videos it seems like its all a giant miss match between obd1 connectors and obd2 codes or vise versa.

At least I know to try and avoid theses years now lol.

An alternative is to take it to a shop and have them scan it for you. My wife's old Grand Am had the same connector as you have and my Snap On Solus Ultra worked fine on it.

That is an OBD1 plug.

When GM did the transition and was a hybrid between OBD1 and 2 - they used the OBD2 style plug (but with unique pin locations). Yours shows a standard OBD1 style.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back