ballasts, bulbs, blah

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm the one who has the 2005 TDi Passat with W8 HID lamps. Because of issues with broken focus adjustment screws and dim lights, I bought new W8 lights from ECS. I don't believe the new units have ballasts. The question is: are dim lights caused by bad bulbs or bad ballasts or both? What determines the color? Bulb or ballast?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whizbyu
I'm the one who has the 2005 TDi Passat with W8 HID lamps. Because of issues with broken focus adjustment screws and dim lights, I bought new W8 lights from ECS. I don't believe the new units have ballasts. The question is: are dim lights caused by bad bulbs or bad ballasts or both? What determines the color? Bulb or ballast?

HID related problems are best post on hidplanet.com, they tinker with HID system a lot, anything from ballasts to bulbs to wiring.

Dim light output is usually caused by bad ballast, the color is usually from the bulb but higher wattage ballast does decrease color a little, like 4300K to 4000-4100K.

If the light output is low then its most likely the bulbs, ballasts either work or they don't.

And the light color is determined by the bulb. I would recommend staying around 4300-4500k for the best usable light.

Last edited:
silvercivicsi said:
If the light output is low then its most likely the bulbs, ballasts either work or they don't.

And the light color is determined by the bulb. I would recommend staying around 4300-4500k for the best usable light. [/quote

Thanks for the advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back