Deflate-gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Questions.
Do the regulations specify a temperature at which the ball must be inflated or the pressure subsequently checked?
Do the pressure gauges used for checking the pressure have a calibration certificate?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
If there was any advantage to using underinflated balls, it seems it would benefit both sides equally since both teams would be using the same underinflated balls.

THIS!!

But they don't.

The whole deal is anal retentive bull. Its a bad spec and rule. Who can keep anything within a 1 psi range. All these sportcasters should have a device that routes engine spark to the bottom of their car seat. The TPM will deliver full spark when their tires get outside a 1 psi range.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
The whole deal is anal retentive bull. Its a bad spec and rule. Who can keep anything within a 1 psi range. All these sportcasters should have a device that routes engine spark to the bottom of their car seat. The TPM will deliver full spark when their tires get outside a 1 psi range.

Per the LA Times: "ESPN reported earlier Tuesday evening that 11 of the 12 balls were found to be underinflated by about two pounds each." That is 16% below the low end of the allowable range of 12.5-13.5 psi, which seems pretty significant to me. If we then apply that to your tire pressure example, spark would be delivered at 25.2 psi for tires spec'ing 30 psi or 29.4 for those requiring 35. With those numbers, maybe some spark is called for.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Brady is a Hall of Famer. Under / over inflated they still would have won the game.

You might want to check with the hall of fame on that one. They have no record of him.
But using your logic, if both teams had a hall of famer, it would've ended in a tie?

Merely something for the press to babble about.
Much drama over little to nothing.
Creates a delusion of adequacy for the press corps and helps them develop a sense of self-importance.

What a freakin waste of air time. This is the yadda, yadda, yadda, that the tribe speaks of so often and it gives them a laugh to see us being fed [censored] and enjoying it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
If there was any advantage to using underinflated balls, it seems it would benefit both sides equally since both teams would be using the same underinflated balls.
Each team uses their own footballs on offense. That's how other teams have found out, after passes were intercepted & the Patriots' ball was brought back to the sidelines. Compared to Spygate, this is nothing.

Ok, then I guess the explanation I heard on the radio was incorrect. The explanation they gave was that the home team provides 12 balls and both teams use those balls.

Originally Posted By: sicko
I think the most interesting part of this is the report that prior to the game the Ravens warned the Colts to check for under inflated balls.

In the end, I don't think anyone is going to get in trouble for this. If anyone, it'll be someone very low within the organization like a ball boy. I'd be surprised if it gets up to the Equipment Manager (though the NFL has shown in the past that ignorance of wrong doing is no excuse), but it wont go any higher than that.

John Harbaugh at the pro bowl denied the claim that they warned the Colts of under inflated balls. The kicker did complain to Harbaugh that the kicking ball felt a little "flat" but Harbaugh didn't do anything about it because both kickers use the same kicking ball and there was no advantage to either team.

Last edited:
I just hope hope hope that this doesn't affect their play in the Superbowl. Belichick in his presser today said that he has spent more time investigating and learning about this fiasco than planning for the Seahawks and its already Saturday and they fly out on Monday for Arizona.

Compared to Spygate, this is nothing.

To me this should be bigger than spygate. With spygate the Patriots were not the only team video taping the sidelines. It was a down low thing that many teams did. If the Pats wanted to lie they wouldn't have a guy video tape in front of 80,000 fans. Heck I've been to Pats games and seen it first hand. Most fans dont pick it up but I did because back in 1992 I was on the Boston College football team and our head coach was Tom Coughlin(currently with NY Giants) and guess what we used to do? Yup watch tape of the opponents sidelines especially if they were Big East opponent!
With this, if the Pats were involved they are probably the ONLY team doing this, again if they deliberately altered the balls. After watching the whole Bill Belichick presser I'm inclined to believe otherwise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
What would happen in Nascar if you won the race but upon race win inspection, Nascar officials discovered the engine had 1/2 point higher compression than allowed?

I've heard the "Patriots would have won anyways".

You don't know that.

If Brady knew the balls were deflated, it could have gave him a mental edge to play far better vs them being inflated to spec.

It seems more and more guys are becoming addicted to football like it's heroin. They get dope sick after the Super Bowl.

I believe the balls were tested and corrected at half time. The Patriots outscored the Colts 28-0 in the second half. So I think we can safely say that the Patriots would've won either way because taking away the points of the first half, the final score still would've been 28-7.

Only rule the Pats broke recording signals was they did it from on the field, it is NOT illegal to tape signals form the press box, and every team out there up till that point also video taped signals from the field.

IT was funny when the stupid media idiot yesterday mention "SPygate" and Belichick ripped him, we filmed in front of 80000 fans, hardly spying, where do these media idiots come from LOL

per the ball pressures, , backs up everything.

http://www.headsmartlabs.com/#in-the-news

Originally Posted By: deven

To me this should be bigger than spygate. With spygate the Patriots were not the only team video taping the sidelines. It was a down low thing that many teams did. If the Pats wanted to lie they wouldn't have a guy video tape in front of 80,000 fans. Heck I've been to Pats games and seen it first hand. Most fans dont pick it up but I did because back in 1992 I was on the Boston College football team and our head coach was Tom Coughlin(currently with NY Giants) and guess what we used to do? Yup watch tape of the opponents sidelines especially if they were Big East opponent!
With this, if the Pats were involved they are probably the ONLY team doing this, again if they deliberately altered the balls. After watching the whole Bill Belichick presser I'm inclined to believe otherwise.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Only rule the Pats broke recording signals was they did it from on the field, it is NOT illegal to tape signals form the press box, and every team out there up till that point also video taped signals from the field.

IT was funny when the stupid media idiot yesterday mention "SPygate" and Belichick ripped him, we filmed in front of 80000 fans, hardly spying, where do these media idiots come from LOL

You sure its not illegal to tape signals from the press box? Last I knew it was illegal period to tape signals from anywhere.

Each team provides their own balls. So other than a fumble, interception, punt or kick off, Indy wouldn't have played with the Patriots balls.

In 2007 the league sent a memo to ALL teams stating that defensive signals could no longer be filmed from CERTAIN locations, and that doing it now had to be done from enclosed locations.
It was sent to all teams because ALL teams were doing it. Jimmy Johnson, TWO TIME SUPERBOWL CHAMPION, defended the Patriots by publicly ADMITTING that he was doing the SAME thing during the Cowboys Superbowl wins, which was something he learned during his time at EVERY OTHER FOOTBALL TEAM he was a part of

Yes you can but it must be done in an "Enclosed" location, no more from the sidelines.

The reality was all teams did it, but it was pretty useless for that game, since no one has time to synch up the film to the signal in real time, but could be done after with hopes you got something for the next game I suppose. Called gamesman ship.

Per the Belichick presser, I learned that the Refs pump up the balls or are supposed to set the pressure, not the teams. Also the Refs keep the balls locked up until 10 minutes before game time making it very unlikely a ball boy could massage the pressures or if they did,would get caught in front of cameras and fans, this looks to me that COlts wanted to set the Patriots up, and the Refs never really set the pressures of either teams ball, did half arse squeeze test and ran with it. The tests all these labs and schools are doing backs up what happens when the temps drop and media idiots look like tools, especially ESPN and their stooges LOL

Also on a CBS game Buck and Aikmen commented that Rodgers loves his footballs overinflated and turns them into the refs overinflated, his attitude is it isn't his responsibility to set the pressure and if the refs don't, well too bad.

Here is A TIDBIT from Jerry Jones, back in 07see above.

Originally Posted By: VNTS

You sure its not illegal to tape signals from the press box? Last I knew it was illegal period to tape signals from anywhere.

I think this is more appropriate
smile.gif

http://s23.postimg.org/t0y2d5ih7/Belichick_Science.jpg

Note I think Matt Pattricia Has a masters in Engineering from RPI and Cam Flemming also has an Engineering degree, so they are well in formed pV=nRT LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back