Most miles or years you ever put on a vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious, how many years and miles have you ever put on a vehicle? What are your favorite maintenance/tips/stories about it?

BITOG is full of folks who love cars/trucks/motorcycles and maintain them well, and I just want to read some good stories.

My mom and dad's '92 Camry, 400K miles using run-of-the-mill conventional oil changes at between 4-10k mile oci.

Originally Posted By: wemay
My mom and dad's '92 Camry, 400K miles using run-of-the-mill conventional oil changes at between 4-10k mile oci.

That's a pretty big OCI spread! Seems like a testament to the engine designers.

I put 255k miles on an '88 4runner. Sold it in a downsizing move, got rid of a 200k miles Accord wagon along with it, to buy a '00 4runner, which now has 249k miles on it. And I do not plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. It still runs as new.

The idea of selling those 2 cars was to make my wife happy......She required that we have a 4 door vehicle, and I required that we have a 4wd one. It has actually probably been the best 4 wheeled vehicle I have ever owned. I have others for gas mileage. But that 4runner just keeps going....Like the energizer bunny.

1991 Acura Integra, bought new in '91. Final mileage when I sold it was 414,000 miles.

Maintenance was by-the-book on the "severe" schedule, or or more often than that. I used dealer parts almost exclusively, turning to aftermarket only when OE parts became unavailable.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
1991 Acura Integra, bought new in '91. Final mileage when I sold it was 414,000 miles.

Someone bought your car? With over 400k miles?

2000 Taurus, Purchased new 11/4/2000
Sold 12/3/12, 48 hours after purchasing replacement.
Final Mileage count 275.5K
Vehicle still going strong at 293+K.
Original drivetrain still in it.
Key to longevity of Taurus transmission survival, pan drop every 35k.

1971 Plymouth Roadrunner. Parents bought it new that year. Gave it to me in 2004. The odometer has rolled over 4 times, but its currently sitting at 433,174 miles. Never had anything but conventional oil, with the majority of that being Valvoline 10w-30. Original motor and trans. No rebuilds. Still drive it on weekends.

I daily drive a 1991 bmw with 172k, and have, md will continue to daily drive early 1980s Mercedes diesels. Come the spring, I'll daily drive a 1982 300cd.

140k on a Saturn SL (my first car)...it saw conventional Shell, Mobil 5000 and Pennzoil and a little Mobil 1. I'd like to hit 200,000 with my Mazda6.

2003 BMW E39 with around 100K-110K miles. Not much but taking into account the severe stop and go traffic, lots of time idling in traffic and quite hot tropical weather, it went through a lot.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: wemay

That's a pretty big OCI spread! Seems like a testament to the engine designers.
Probably the I4.

The most miles I have put on a vehicle so far was 120k. It was my first car and I did in in a little over a year. It was an 85 Marquis with a 3.8 v6 that had 60k on it when I got it from my grandparents. It had just over 180k when the car suffered electrical failure and I sold the engine. That car never got oil changes on time, it was usually 5-6000 miles before I had it done (3000 miles is what was still recommended then). Until the wiring got fried by a bad battery charger, the only repair it ever need was a muffler and that was my fault. My F-150 is the longest I have had a vehicle and the second highest miles I have put on. I have had it for almost 11 years and 108k miles.

My 2002 Focus, I bought new for my wife at the time. She took the car in the divorce and I bought it from her a few years after. It just turned 183k miles. Despite the few repairs it has had, I would call it the most reliable vehicle I have ever seen. Especially considering what it has been through in its life.

My current daily driver, a 2004 VW TDI. Bought new in May 2004 with 25 miles on it, currently at nearly 306k. OCI at 10 to 14k, trans oil every 100k. When the turbo died at 255k I put in a bigger one, got a tune, and it's been running since with 40% more power (but it may need a head gasket or studs now as a result). Not sure how much farther I will go, it feels ratty, looks ratty, is loud, and I don't trust for long drives.

Last edited:
Most miles on any car Ive owned personally...about 105k and counting on a 2003...bought it with 59k though.

Most miles on a car I bought new...will turn 100k this week on 2002 malibu. It saw only 80k in the 12 first years and about 20k in the past 15 mos now that I drive a lot for work. Getting my money's worth now that it is all but depreciated.

My other vehicle is an 03 with a whopping 54k miles, bought new. Guess I dont drive a lot
smile.gif
Though I bought new and sold 2 other cars with about 50k miles each in the past 12 years too.

Between my dad and I we put 348,000Km on the old Town Car before I gave it away last year. Close to 220,000 miles. Car is still going strong with close to 250,000 miles on it now. Original shortblock, tranny has been refreshed and it got an HO/Explorer top end "upgrade" a few years back for more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back