New NGK spark plugs, coated with white powder???

Status
Not open for further replies.
NGK IFR6T11 Laser Iridium spark plugs, bought off a guy locally. The ceramic part of the plug is covered in a white powder at the base where it meets the metal hex nut. Is this normal?? I've never seen new plugs like this before. It's to the left of the NGK logo and goes all around the plug.

g4R5SQn.jpg

I'm 99% sure they're not counterfeit, the logo & packaging all look real. I can see the platinum insert at the tip of the ground electrode as well, no way fake plugs would have that.

I'm just thrown off by this white powder, emailing NGK now. Anyone else experience this on brand new plugs?

I bought a set recently (half from Advance and half from O'Reilly) and if memory serves I noticed the same thing.

I think I tried to rubbing it off and it was really on there, is that right? It's not just some dust, correct?

Anyway, it just looked to me like something left over from the manufacturing process. Maybe all the other NGKs I've used in the past had it and I never noticed it before.

I installed them and they're working fine.

NGK replied so fast I'm surprised. The powder is normal, it's talc.

The white powder you are seeing comes from when the plug was built and no cleaning is necessary. The powder is from when the talc seal is inserted.

very good customer service from NGK!
but I have to ask: did you buy them from a guy who is a chemistry teacher and makes rock candy on the side?

I have NGK plugs sent to me directly from NAPA of Mexico and occasionally they have that white powder on them.

I really doubt counterfeit NGK plugs are common in the USA, unless you buy them off of eBay or "some dude".

I've detected three sets of counterfeit plugs in five years installed in customer's cars:

First set was a NGK number that doesn't exist, the plating was plain shiny zinc, the lot numbers were crooked, and the lithography was fuzzy.

Second set was a NGK number that isn't sold in Mexico, and just like the first set the plating was plain shiny zinc, the lot numbers were crooked, and the lithography was fuzzy.

Third set were just plain terrible, they lasted 10 days. They were counterfeit ACDelcos, the plating was gold colored cadmium, the flash over ribs were missing just like a garbage Splitfire, the insulator on the terminal side was oversize, and the lithography was fuzzy, deformed, and a strange shade of blue.

The easiest way to tell genuine NGK: The plating should give off blue and pink hues, depending on how the light is hitting it. This is due to the triple plating process, very difficult to replicate.

I had my first bad experience with NGK plugs in my life yesterday. A car came in with a slight misfire on idling with new spark plugs changed previously by its owner. Original NGK made in Japan, one was bad
21.gif

Originally Posted By: chrisri
I had my first bad experience with NGK plugs in my life yesterday. A car came in with a slight misfire on idling with new spark plugs changed previously by its owner. Original NGK made in Japan, one was bad
21.gif

Owner probably dropped the plugs down the head of the engine instead of inserting it properly with a plug socket. I've seen lots of "how-to" videos where DIY owners do this.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
NGK replied so fast I'm surprised...

I've long been impressed with NGK's technical support and outstanding quality control.

First spark plug I ever R&R'd was a NGK BP6ES in 100cc '69 Hodaka. Been loyal ever since (except ACDelco in GMs).

Imagine my surprise when pulling out OE Mercedes-AMG plugs for the first time only to read "Made in Japan" and "NGK" on 'em.
Seems the Germans think pretty highly of sublet Japanese electronics, too.
smile.gif

MBNGKsparkplug4.jpg

MBNGKsparkplug8.jpg

For a long and zappy life!

Originally Posted By: splinter
Originally Posted By: HKPolice
NGK replied so fast I'm surprised...

I've long been impressed with NGK's technical support and outstanding quality control.

First spark plug I ever R&R'd was a NGK BP6ES in 100cc '69 Hodaka. Been loyal ever since (except ACDelco in GMs).

Imagine my surprise when pulling out OE Mercedes-AMG plugs for the first time only to read "Made in Japan" and "NGK" on 'em.
Seems the Germans think pretty highly of sublet Japanese electronics, too.
smile.gif

MBNGKsparkplug4.jpg

MBNGKsparkplug8.jpg

For a long and zappy life!

I see white residue on the ceramic insulator as well, so it really is normal on all/most NGK plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back