How Much Techron is in Chevron Pump Gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garageman402

$100 Site Donor 2024
I've read the threads about how a bottle of Techron really cleans up a fuel system, saw the experiment with the bore scope, and the debate over if Chevron gas is really worth the extra 45c per gallon.

Does anyone know the concentration of Techron in the gas Chevron (and Texaco) sells?

I've heard from tanker truck drivers that Chevron is the most picky about the additives. If they are loading up, and the additive package gets botched, they will dump the whole load and start over. The driver who gets paid by the load doesn't appreciate this. By dumping the load, it means it goes to the off brand stations.

A 20oz bottle of Techron concentrate available from Amazon is $12.62, not counting tax, and it treats 20 gallons. That comes out to 63c per gallon. If you include the 9% tax they add for CA. it's 69c per gallon. So if the pump gas from Chevron is treated at the same rate, then yes, it is worth the extra 45c per gallon.

How about different grades of Chevron? Does the Supreme have more Techron? Shell claims it's V-Power has 5 times the additive of it's Regular gasoline. I think I've heard Chevron Supreme has 2 times the Techron than it's Regular, but can't confirm that.

Thanks for any insight......

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Chevron fuel is the same price as the other top tier fuels in my area. ed

Same here. It is only a dime more than the stop and rob places. I formerly bought Chevron as my first choice.....Until they subbed out their credit, and screwed it up. Great gas. Lousy credit card.

Some of your questions can be answered by the Chevron Techron Q&A: http://www.techron.com/what-is-techron/questions-answers.aspx

As for the levels of techron in their gas, I remember reading on the Chevron website that they put more techron in their ultra than they do in the regular and middle gasses. They didn't state the levels, but I remember them saying something like all levels exceed the minimum requirements for gas to be sold in the US. I'm sure if you search their website you can find the info they used to have on their.

Why aren't you buying Costco gas? It's the best quality gas out there and it's at least 10 cents cheaper than Chevron. I did the math, for the amount of money I save on gas every year, it pays for the membership fee plus an extra $20.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why aren't you buying Costco gas? It's the best quality gas out there and it's at least 10 cents cheaper than Chevron. I did the math, for the amount of money I save on gas every year, it pays for the membership fee plus an extra $20.

Here's a thought - maybe there isn't a Costco close to them. I'm fortunate to have one literally a mile down the street, but my family lives about 30 miles from here. Sixty miles round trip JUST to get gas seems a little unreasonable to me!

Originally Posted By: sicko
Some of your questions can be answered by the Chevron Techron Q&A: http://www.techron.com/what-is-techron/questions-answers.aspx

As for the levels of techron in their gas, I remember reading on the Chevron website that they put more techron in their ultra than they do in the regular and middle gasses. They didn't state the levels, but I remember them saying something like all levels exceed the minimum requirements for gas to be sold in the US. I'm sure if you search their website you can find the info they used to have on their.

Thanks sicko!!

That answered the question. Using the bottle gives 10X the Techron as is available at the pump.

Originally Posted By: sicko

That might have been a while ago. Right now they need to meet Top Tier requirements, so perhaps they've changed it such that it's at the same level. The cost of a bulk additive treatment is actually pennies per gallon for the fuel marketer, so it's not really something that really adds to their costs.

Also - Chevron's premium unleaded has always been marketed as "Supreme".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back