Castrol LIFETIME engine warranty!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's (as someone recently instructed us about another product) the same oil at a higher price to cover warranty costs.

Last edited:
Sure, the oil is good as most modern oil, but if you notice they will only pay for any repairs that you can prove that were needed due to the failure of the oil to properly protect the engine. Also not for normal wear. They don't say that the engine will never wear out, just that it won't have abnormal wear due to their oil. Therefore you will never see them having to pay for anybodys repairs, and all those that want to keep this so-called warranty in effect will have to continue to buy their product. Good sales ploy.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Too many hoops to jump, Edge Professional at 5,000 OCI is a waste of money.

I didn't read it that way ... Castrol recommends 5,000 miles, but they state that you cannot exceed the manufacturer recommended interval. For my Jeep, that would be 8,000 miles or every six months.

I think Mobil still has the best warranty because they have the fewest hoops to jump through. I don't know if it's changed, but they cover the damage if Mobil was in the crankcase, within the specified OCI. They don't do crazy stuff like make you only use one product with short OCIs. I think they accept whatever your manufacturer's OCI is, or what they say their product can do (for example 15k miles or 1 year on M1 EP). Granted, just like all warranties you'll have to jump through hoops to show the vehicle was taken care of and that the oil was what caused the issue you're filling a claim for. But like I said, it used to be the best warranty of the oil company warranties, I just don't know if they changed it in the past few years.

Their liability is also limited to 5k or the ACV of the vehicle, whichever is less.

In other words, if your clunker is worth $1000, that's all you'll get.

LOL, what a joke
tired.gif

Originally Posted By: old1
Sure, the oil is good as most modern oil, but if you notice they will only pay for any repairs that you can prove that were needed due to the failure of the oil to properly protect the engine. Also not for normal wear. They don't say that the engine will never wear out, just that it won't have abnormal wear due to their oil. Therefore you will never see them having to pay for anybodys repairs, and all those that want to keep this so-called warranty in effect will have to continue to buy their product. Good sales ploy.

Exactly. Valvoline has the same "lifetime" warranty and it's equally worthless.

Every oil company with these warranties uses more disclaimers than there are possibilities for engine failure.

Last edited:
Not good warranty terms/conditions for the consumer.

This seems like it is marketed to the BMW drivers since Castrol is not exclusive to that car manufacturer anymore.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
For Castrol to have such a warranty, the oil must be of superior quality.

This is Mobil's warranty in Canada. This is Petro-Canada's warranty. Castrol's is nothing new. The mileage-limited warranties are the ones I find surprising, if not outright offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back