Taggers

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I can't stand is Taggers, anywhere you go graffiti will greet you, in my town cops are really cracking down on them, if caught and under age the parents are held responsible for all damages and cost to clean up, love this cops way to get the message across
thumbsup2.gif

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e71_1422121329

I have yet to see any graffiti around here. However, last fall the DNR did spray some red X's on some trees that needed to be removed on public property. Does that count?

That type corrective attention never would be accepted in the USA. Too many folks would be concerned we'd violate the kids rights .... you know, their rights to not be embarrsed as a consequence for their own stupid behavior.

Last edited:
Between my residence and my place of employment, there is a double train track that I sometimes have to wait as the train goes by. As I sit there and watch the rail cars go by, most of them have spray-painted graffiti on them. Okay, so these taggers have to go out and buy (or maybe steal?) the spray paint and then they tag these cars pro bono.
However, if the people would get caught and have to do some community service, like maybe painting a church or a soup kitchen, people could see their work for possibly years, just like when they tag a train car. Yet, they would whine and complain about painting the church or homeless shelter.
See the irony?

One of our local judges is getting tough and passing out 28 day prison sentences as standard now for tagging, and this is normally a very liberal country. The latest idiot tagged the front of the courthouse in daylight, while visiting.

I've read here and there about cities, instead of handing out punishments for a largely harmless crime to youths who will have a conviction hanging over their heads for a good long while, will instead direct the offenders toward more productive ends such as municipal murals (this, in addition to the much less romantic task of cleaning up graffiti).

If the "tags" are not gang-related it is usually just a bored, misguided kid who could use some guidance and a helping hand a lot more than a punishment which may further entrench said kid into his or her unproductive lifestyle (which will cost us all in the long run). Some of these folks can even be anti-hero-esque and end up being fairly popular characters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banksy

Originally Posted By: Kruse
However, if the people would get caught and have to do some community service, like maybe painting a church or a soup kitchen, people could see their work for possibly years, just like when they tag a train car. Yet, they would whine and complain about painting the church or homeless shelter.
See the irony?

A friend of mine spent 20-some-odd years working in the correctional system(s) for both the Province of Ontario and Canada, working with young offenders and those recently released from prison. He has exactly the opposite to report. His stories of the non-hardened criminals whose lives turned around once they were given a chance to be productive and to contribute (and the senses of belonging and ownership/ responsibility of and for one's community that come with it; something most offenders have never experienced) they treasured it and made the most of it. Especially kids who had just been given their first taste of the justice system: the negative affect of the process of being arrested, tried, convicted and sentenced coupled with the positive impact of actually being an accepted and valued part of something (like a neighbourhood rejuvenation effort that featured their "artwork" such as murals) made for a profound effect.

My friend had resigned from his career out of various frustrations; but the ability of young, non-hardened kids who were just unfortunate enough to have been born into underprivileged circumstances turning their act around within the framework of a supportive community is a bright spot for him!

No graffiti to speak of in our town. City crews and landlords are on that blight pronto.
Several miles away in less tidy areas, the broken window theory is in full effect as gangster and thug urination markings run amok.

Video’s Portuguese is sure a romance language though.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
That type corrective attention never would be accepted in the USA. Too many folks would be concerned we'd violate the kids rights .... you know, their rights to not be embarrsed as a consequence for their own stupid behavior.

Or another way to say it ... "their right to be hoodlums".

But they also need to be taught that the law has the right to hold those accountable that break the law.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
See the irony?

A friend of mine spent 20-some-odd years working in the correctional system(s) for both the Province of Ontario and Canada, working with young offenders and those recently released from prison. He has exactly the opposite to report.

Interesting. So your friend has told you that there are long lines of taggers waiting to do charity work and they are volunteering their painting skills when they are needed?

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
See the irony?

A friend of mine spent 20-some-odd years working in the correctional system(s) for both the Province of Ontario and Canada, working with young offenders and those recently released from prison. He has exactly the opposite to report.

Interesting. So your friend has told you that there are long lines of taggers waiting to do charity work and they are volunteering their painting skills when they are needed?

You have to remember .. he's talking about Canadian kids.

Nope. I think you entirely mis-read what I posted. Perhaps you did not read all of the stuff after the post of mine that you had quoted?

Maybe I messed up, though, and am in need of some help: would you quote the portion of the post of mine that indicated he said "there are long lines of taggers waiting to do charity work and they are volunteering their painting skills when they are needed"? I trust that isn't just something you made up in your head, indicating your own perceptions of what I thought were some pretty clear English sentences I posted.

If those words were indeed NOT posted by me and WERE made up in your head; would you mind walking us through the process of how you got from my actual words to your made-up ones? I am interested to know how you were inspired to such a cynical, sarcastic response to a post I thought was of a positive nature (and was largely agreeing with your post; only adding that my friend has some experience that these offenders' punishments that involved community involvement were much more productive than putting them in a cage).

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
1 month in jail with Bubba should straighten these punks out.

The U.S. incarcerates more people per capita than North Korea, China, Cuba, etc. There must be a lot of punks getting straightened out!

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Yep. That's good my tax dollars are keeping these punks in the correctional system to rehab their thinking.

I thought one of the major whining points of this thread was that these punks are NOT in the correctional system. Other punks, maybe; but apparently not these punks. There are too many punks!!! You may need to throw some more tax money Big Brother's way to build more punk cages: Police states don't run on whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back