Deflate-gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd think it would be rather hard to deflate a foosball.
laugh.gif

I think the most interesting part of this is the report that prior to the game the Ravens warned the Colts to check for under inflated balls.

In the end, I don't think anyone is going to get in trouble for this. If anyone, it'll be someone very low within the organization like a ball boy. I'd be surprised if it gets up to the Equipment Manager (though the NFL has shown in the past that ignorance of wrong doing is no excuse), but it wont go any higher than that.

I'm sick of it.

Every time I try to catch the news here in MA it's all that they talk about. I'm more interested in the weather.

There's nothing here folks! Carry on!

Either the balls will filled with warmed air, which would result in less pressure once they got cold,

Or someone has a device to deflate the balls.

Given that one ball was still within limits, and the rest low, I am opting for the former...

Does not have to be big, about the size of a paperclip would be unnoticeable in a glove...

If the NFL owners are allowed to self-police this issue and sculpt the outcome then nothing will happen. Didn't Belichick already defer to Brady who deferred to the ball boy. The scent of disingenuity is already strong. I would assume that money-wise and smear-wise ( especially with the Super Bowl approaching )the NFL doesn't want this issue hanging around too long and are still searching for the most feasible way to put the kibosh on it. Does it die on its own volition or does the NFL have to do a PR campaign along with their decision?? I have little faith in all parties...

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Either the balls will filled with warmed air, which would result in less pressure once they got cold,

Or someone has a device to deflate the balls.

Given that one ball was still within limits, and the rest low, I am opting for the former...

Does not have to be big, about the size of a paperclip would be unnoticeable in a glove...

The change in temp would not affect the pressure that much.
The device to deflate the balls could be a small needle hooked to a gauge.
One ball was within limits because the kicker would rather have an overinflated ball instead of an underinflated ball, OR they just didn't have enough time to get the last one deflated.
I'm not too worried about it. It's not the first (or last) time that somebody in football got caught cheating.

If there was any advantage to using underinflated balls, it seems it would benefit both sides equally since both teams would be using the same underinflated balls.

Sports are entertainment what does it really matter which team wins? Well unless there are bets on the game.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
If there was any advantage to using underinflated balls, it seems it would benefit both sides equally since both teams would be using the same underinflated balls.

I do not believe they used the same ones, hence the advantage... Also, not all QB's prefer under-inflated balls.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Sports are entertainment

This is so easily forgotten, isn't it! Especially by those who are in the sports industry.

THIS!!

Each team uses their own footballs on offense. That's how other teams have found out, after passes were intercepted & the Patriots' ball was brought back to the sidelines. Compared to Spygate, this is nothing.

www.cnn.com/2015/01/22/us/nfl-patriots-deflategate-rules/

"According to NFL regulations, each team provides a dozen balls to the referee for testing
two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff. The
home team also supplies 12 backup balls, and
for outdoor games, the visiting team has the
option of bringing another 12 balls. In addition, the ball manufacturer -- in this
case, Wilson (cue "Cast Away" jokes) -- ships
eight more balls, in what the NFL scientifically
terms "a special box," directly to the referee.
The box is opened two hours and 15 minutes
before the game, and the referee marks each ball with a "K," to designate it for kicking."

That's, of course, assuming both quarterbacks, receivers, and backs liked and performed well with deflated balls as a preference. Deflated balls may perform better in the cold but I wouldn't automatically attribute an equal benefit to both teams.

What would happen in Nascar if you won the race but upon race win inspection, Nascar officials discovered the engine had 1/2 point higher compression than allowed?

I've heard the "Patriots would have won anyways".

You don't know that.

If Brady knew the balls were deflated, it could have gave him a mental edge to play far better vs them being inflated to spec.

It seems more and more guys are becoming addicted to football like it's heroin. They get dope sick after the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/201...enalty/2109497/

An engine rod that was 2.3 grams underweight caused NASCAR to level stiff penalties...

"TRD vice president David Wilson told USA
TODAY Sports that the rod selected by
NASCAR weighed 522.7 grams, under the
required weight by 2.3 grams or "the weight
of three small paper clips." The neighboring
rod on the throw (each V8 crankshaft engine has four throws of two connecting
rods) was 4 grams overweight."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back