replace ford 5w20 to 5w30 on high miles mod 5.3l ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
replace ford 5w20 to 5w30 on high miles mod 5.3l 3v engine ?

I heard ford made 5w20 just for gas miles, not for longevity of car engine, is this true ? some say replace 20 weight for 30 weight on these modular engine is better and reduce some engine noise.

18.gif

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

I heard ford made 5w20 just for gas miles, not for longevity of car engine, is this true ? some say replace 20 weight for 30 weight on these modular engine is better and reduce some engine noise.

You cant switch oils on that engine mostly because ford never made a 5.3L
smile.gif

I'm actually having this discussion on another forum right now with an oil "expert" that claims 5w20 greatly reduces engine life. Interested to hear what some of the senior members around here have to say. My only 100% argument is where are all these vehicles that the engines are wore out on? I have not seen them, even if it were true it seems that it would happen at a mileage that the rest of the vehicle is used up by.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
I'm actually having this discussion on another forum right now with an oil "expert" that claims 5w20 greatly reduces engine life. Interested to hear what some of the senior members around here have to say. My only 100% argument is where are all these vehicles that the engines are wore out on? I have not seen them, even if it were true it seems that it would happen at a mileage that the rest of the vehicle is used up by.

Ask him to shows the UOAs that prove it increases wear.....

[/quote]

Ask him to shows the UOAs that prove it increases wear..... [/quote]
Says he's seen hundreds of them. The ones I've seen on here have shown no signs of excess wear. 2010_FX4 was posting lots of excellent UOA's from MS5K in 5w20.
Admittedly I am a mechanic not an oil expert but I've tried to educate myself to at least a novice level. I've also had conversations with Ford engineers about proper oils for these engines and what this guy is saying doesn't jive with what I've come up with over the years.

My cruiser at work is a 4.6 with 203k on it, lived it's whole hard life on GTX dino 5w20. At this point it gulps oil to the tune of about a quart every 5 days. Still runs like a top. I personally have had a hard time making friends with 5w20 but clearly in this case (and many I have seen here) it has little bearing on longevity.

Now at this point I would be curious to know if a good 5w30 would reduce consumption in it. I won't likely get to find out though.

Trytthe Caterham blend of Toyota Genuine 0w20 and Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula. Anything close to 50:50 will be fine you can go either way 60:40 or 40:60 depending on where youwwant to end up

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Trytthe Caterham blend of Toyota Genuine 0w20 and Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula. Anything close to 50:50 will be fine you can go either way 60:40 or 40:60 depending on where youwwant to end up

Or mix two oils that are likely far more compatible: EP 0w-20 and the M1 0w-40. Or heck, run a properly blended oil like M1 AFE 0w-30 without playing home Chemist.

LOL, given that the raison d'etre for "the blend" was that M1 0W30 wasn't available in Canada, OVERKILL, your suggestion sounds entirely practical.

I thought I read somewhere, that some manufacturers do not recommend a 20 weight oil overseas and say to use a 30 weight. Not sure where I saw this. LOL...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

What is the justification for the switch? Is 5W-20 not currently working in the engine? What do you consider to be high mileage?

We run 10w30 conventional fleet oil in all 7 of our ford mod motors...4 of them being 5.4 3v...may not be spec'd but we are in south texas and it definitly keeps the phasers and valvetrain lots quieter when hot....all of them have 100k plus and were bought used and are beat on daily..no problems or concerns here....just a little insurance imho...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back