Drain & Fill (Pic!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If you still have the old fluid, I'd keep some for analysis.

Sounds familiar!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If you still have the old fluid, I'd keep some for analysis.

Sounds familiar!

My bad. Didnt see it.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24
How does it shift now compared to before?

It shifts better and overall just feels better. I think it will improve even further after the next drain. Going to do 3 of them to get as much of the old fluid out as possible.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Originally Posted By: gregk24
How does it shift now compared to before?

It shifts better and overall just feels better. I think it will improve even further after the next drain. Going to do 3 of them to get as much of the old fluid out as possible.

Here's a link to my drain and fill spreadsheet, download it, all you need to know is the total transmission volume and the amount you drain and filled... it tells you the actual percent of new fluid and interestingly how much new comes out with the old after you get past two or three changes.

*** DRAIN AND FILL CALCULATOR ***

I still have all the fluid I drained out. I've contacted the shop so we'll see what they say.

Whatever you do....DO NOT go back to that shop and let them touch your car, they cannot be trusted, and in any case now they have a reason to hold a grudge against you. DO NOT LET THEM TOUCH YOUR CAR AGAIN!

ALSO DO NOT GO TO ANY SHOP THEY SAY THEY "WORK WITH", it is asking for more trouble!

It is very difficult to find a competent and honest mechanic/shop. I was very lucky to find one near my home, I stick with him since early 90's.

Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
If the shop used LV, doesn't that stuff turn dark fast?

6F50 with LV? If the OP wouldn't have had it serviced it would be pitch black. We see that a lot with LV fluid where it gets dark very quick. Keep in mind a full service can't get everything out and even a little dark fluid can go a long way.

I had no idea about Mercon LV turning brown so fast. However, they didn't officially use Mercon, they used a Multi-Vehicle. Now whether or not that fluid (which is "recommended" for Dexron VI, Mercon, Mercon LV etc) turns brown just as quickly is the real question. I guess I'll find out in the future. After the 3rd drain and fill I'll wait 5,000 miles and see what color the true Mercon LV is.

I drained and filled the tranny oil in my 1999 Chevrolet Silverado and used Valvoline Max Life Synthetic fluid and I now have 2K miles on the new fluid and it is as bright red as the day I filled the tranny truck in November. Due to the trucks as (16 years old) I am going to drain and fill every 10K miles because of how affordable the Valvoline oil is and I enjoy doing the work
smile.gif
. Hoping to get a few hundred thousand miles on the tranny.

I'm not a fan of the MaxLife. I don't like the idea of not using something licensed so I use OEM fluid. And I don't know the base stock makeup of the MaxLife and I assume it's of lower quality than OEM Mercon LV because the OEM has a much higher VI.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the MaxLife. I don't like the idea of not using something licensed so I use OEM fluid. And I don't know the base stock makeup of the MaxLife and I assume it's of lower quality than OEM Mercon LV because the OEM has a much higher VI.

MaxLife can be used in many applications, but you have to be careful and when there is ANY doubt you should use a approved or licensed fluid for an application. Another word...just because it is synthetic doesn't mean it is better.

Since ATF gets its color from dye I would venture to say that you probably can't tell as much as you think you can about its condition from the color alone. I would think clarity, smell, etc. might be more telling. I've seen plenty of fluids that started out red and ended up varying shades of brown, but still was "clear" and had no burnt or "off" odors.

Even after 3 drain/fills on my g35 in about 5k the fluid was nearly black.

It's possible. I never noticed any changes in performance, myself.

No matter what kind of filter you add it's not going to cause brown, or black fluid to turn red again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back