2013 Pilot - Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: averytamp
Fast forwad, my 2013 oil light came on the other day and at 2500 miles since my last oil change I was 1 quart of oil down.

Which oil light was it?

If it was the red Aladin's lamp one quart low wouldn't cause it to come on unless you were going up a really steep hill at high rpm. Two quarts might make it come on, but if it was this particular oil light, it is probably a mechanical issue, like a plugged oil pick up screen.

Uh oh, this is a major problem. Normally I'd say, hey what are you going to do? Some cars use a little oil, it's normal, but these things have problems. Get rid of it. And if you plan on keeping it, make sure the oil is full!! That engine has a timing chain and it needs oil. This stuff is happening on quite a few cars...Caddy's V6 is notorious for consumption, and then the chain goes...$2500 job. Audi burns through oil like it's their job. BMW too.

Toyota is good - although ten years ago they were known as sludge monsters - I have an LS460 and I'll say the thing might use a half of a quart at 5,000 miles. It's too bad about the Honda because they are usually great cars, but even they have run into some dirty little secrets they'd like to keep quiet (transmissions, etc). By the way, the Pilot's transmission is virtually guaranteed to fail on those cars. Get rid of the thing.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Uh oh, this is a major problem. Normally I'd say, hey what are you going to do? Some cars use a little oil, it's normal, but these things have problems. Get rid of it. And if you plan on keeping it, make sure the oil is full!! That engine has a timing chain and it needs oil. This stuff is happening on quite a few cars...Caddy's V6 is notorious for consumption, and then the chain goes...$2500 job. Audi burns through oil like it's their job. BMW too.

Toyota is good - although ten years ago they were known as sludge monsters - I have an LS460 and I'll say the thing might use a half of a quart at 5,000 miles. It's too bad about the Honda because they are usually great cars, but even they have run into some dirty little secrets they'd like to keep quiet (transmissions, etc). By the way, the Pilot's transmission is virtually guaranteed to fail on those cars. Get rid of the thing.

No, it has a timing belt.
Source: I have the same car

And how do you know the transmissions are guaranteed to fail?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: doublebase

No, it has a timing belt.
Source: I have the same car

And how do you know the transmissions are guaranteed to fail?

It has the belt still? I have changed quite a few of them and I teach automotive with a ex honda tech. He says the Pilot and Ridgline give you that extra space in the back so you have a spot to place your replacement transmission. He owns a Odyssey and everyday he talks about how he hopes it fails before his extended warranty does, because he doesn't want to be in the hook for a new one.

I have an Accord and I change the tranny fluid once a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back