Changing 2 gallons ATF today

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 158,400 or so miles on her. Awesome, awesome trans. Changed 1 gallon ATF twice.. about 2000 miles apart? Got 2 gallons Maxlife Mercon LV/Dexron.

1999 Ford Expedition 5.4.

Will take pics of old fluid, before disposal at Advance.

How much of a result in feel and transmission health should this yield?

Check for a drain plug on the torque convertor. If it has one you can get around 12 quarts out of the trans with a pan drop and letting the convertor drain.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
About 158,400 or so miles on her. Awesome, awesome trans. Changed 1 gallon ATF twice.. about 2000 miles apart? Got 2 gallons Maxlife Mercon LV/Dexron.

1999 Ford Expedition 5.4.

Will take pics of old fluid, before disposal at Advance.

How much of a result in feel and transmission health should this yield?

Hopefully you will not notice anything. That will mean you did if before it was actually needed. Which is best.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Check for a drain plug on the torque convertor...

+1

How are you exchanging ~8 quarts of fluid (i.e., pan drop, cooler line, etc.)?

Q7qHm9H.png

Originally Posted By: splinter

+1

Orange siphon thing from Advance Auto.

Got 5, now must do 3 more...

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
I have a feeling that transmission is not long for this world.

Why do you say that? It shifts silky smooth now.

You should really be saving up for the front suspension/steering work and the alignment that it needs instead of spending money on transmission fluid.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
You should really be saving up for the front suspension/steering work and the alignment that it needs instead of spending money on transmission fluid.

Overkill and I have told him it's torque steer from different size tires on back but he won't swap the oddball to the front to find out. This stuff is maddening and he does it for the attention.

Overkill and I have told him it's torque steer from different size tires on back but he won't swap the oddball to the front to find out. This stuff is maddening and he does it for the attention.

Who told you that it has different sized tires? ??

Originally Posted By: splinter

+1

Orange siphon thing from Advance Auto.

Got 5, now must do 3 more...

It has a drain plug that drops 6 quarts BTW.

Yup.

Who told you that it has different sized tires? ??

Does the truck have four of the same tires on it? No. Even if on the off chance that all of them show the same size, they will have different diameters. It also has three different rims on it, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back