New 2015 WRX, new oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
check the owners manual:

but i believe full synthetic is recommended for this engine always, however, a fill of conventional 10w-40 can be used if synthetic is not available but it does recommend to get back to full synthetic on the next fill.

Perhaps based on some locations in our world full synthetic is difficult to find, but should not be a problem in most modern countries.

Last edited:
Congrats on the 15' WRX! Sweet car... I have a 13' though the '15 STI is so tempting right now as an upgrade
laugh.gif

Most Subie owners are running Motul, Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Rotella... I run Purol. Haven't seen the data sheet on Redline myself yet but I would advise you do some research on different oils and make your choice from there. Not all oils use the same base grades and/or additive modifiers, so do some homework and make a solid choice based on your gathered data and intended use for your car. You'll feel better about using it. Then get an oil analysis done to confirm it's working for you. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
check the owners manual:

but i believe full synthetic is recommended for this engine always, however, a fill of conventional 10w-40 can be used if synthetic is not available but it does recommend to get back to full synthetic on the next fill.

Perhaps based on some locations in our world full synthetic is difficult to find, but should not be a problem in most modern countries.

All WRX owner's manual language since 2011 has only stated that conventional can be used for replenishment only, and must be changed to synthetic at the next oil change. And there is definitely no longer a reference to 10W-40 since around MY2008.

Of course, there is no formal definition of synthetic but that's another thread.
smile.gif

http://techinfo.subaru.com/proxy/76583/pdf/ownerManual/076583_2015_WRX/MSA5M1514ASTIS_18.pdf

-Dennis

Last edited:
Rotella came up frequently for preferred oil in the prior wrx's. The 2015 has a different engine (2.0 for 2015 vs 2.5 for prior years). Also changed to direct injection. What was optimal for the older models might be different.

Not saying that it does/or doesn't, but might make a difference.

Subscribed...I'm looking into a new WRX.

As much as I've read on this forum about oil...I'd be tempted to just go with M1 0W-40...

Wonder if that's approved by Subaru?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

As much as I've read on this forum about oil...I'd be tempted to just go with M1 0W-40...

It's not. The manual refers to syn 5/30, but states that conventional 5/40 can be used to top off. It also says that the topped-off oil should be changed to 5/30 syn at the next oci. Now some may say that you can never use 5/40 because it will void warranty. It won't. If Subaru wanted 5/30 only, it would state "Use of any other oil beside 5/30 will void warranty." Even the 5/40 top off says "should" not "shall" be changed. I believe that the 2.0 in Europe is spec'd at 5/40.

Originally Posted By: bshort

It's not. The manual refers to syn 5/30, but states that conventional 5/40 can be used to top off.

Don't know of any conventional 5w40.

Originally Posted By: bshort
It's just what there not-so-informational manual says.

Lol. As so many of them are. At times making things more confusing then before the first page was turned.

Click on the above link that I posted from the owner's manual. Someone over on nasioc just pointed out that the temp chart includes 5W-40 again. I believe that infers that 5W-40 can be used beyond just "replenishment", although there is no other mention of it. In another place in the manual it states that a thicker viscosity is required in hot temps. As pointed out by others, the SoA owner's manual isn't very clear.

Subaru Japan actually allows 5W-40 in turbos, H-6's, and even the BRZ which is specced for 0W-20.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back