2015 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking about one of the new WRXs. I have a 2007 Tacoma that I bought new, and love it, but kinda tired of driving a truck every day. Kinda want something small and fast that goes around corners well, with a manual transmission. (I would keep the truck.)

Anybody here have one?

I'm wondering what they're going for... I spoke with the internet sales rep at one dealership here in Nashville today, and he said they were only willing to take $300 off the MSRP.

The base model (what I'm interested in) is listed at about $26,300. $800 destination fee brings it to $27,100. Truecar says invoice is $25,600.

Trying to figure how much wiggle room there is on price...

I know the Doc Fee ($500 at this dealer) is pure profit for the dealership...how about that $800 destination fee?

They quoted $27,290 plus tax (including doc fee) which is $300 off invoice (the $300 was some kind of fleet discount he said he could use).

If they'd sell it at $26,100 I'd be happy with that...they'd be making money and I'd be getting a discount. (I know the invoice of $25,600 isn't their cost...they get a certain amount of holdback behind that figure...usually about 3%.)

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Check other dealers. Shop around.

Don't worry...I will.

I forgot to mention that an Internet sales rep at a different dealership told me via email that they are selling their 2015 WRXs at full list price because of "lack of inventory".

Well, I've never paid full list on something and not about to start now.

With the all-new STI having the same drive train as the previous model years, the new WRX seems to be very popular.

My recommendations:

1. Wait a year or so and pickup something leftover, if you're not too picky. I got a good deal on a 2006 WRX TR (stripped down model, essentially the basest of base models) that way, back in '07. Apples to oranges WRT popularity, though.

2. If you can't wait, utilize a car-buying service for price comparison and guarantees. I use USAA, but Consumer Reports and a few others offer similar, if not the same, service.

3. Wait a couple of years. There may be better offers if/when the STI drive train is updated.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
With the all-new STI having the same drive train as the previous model years, the new WRX seems to be very popular.

My recommendations:

1. Wait a year or so and pickup something leftover, if you're not too picky. I got a good deal on a 2006 WRX TR (stripped down model, essentially the basest of base models) that way, back in '07. Apples to oranges WRT popularity, though.

2. If you can't wait, utilize a car-buying service for price comparison and guarantees. I use USAA, but Consumer Reports and a few others offer similar, if not the same, service.

3. Wait a couple of years. There may be better offers if/when the STI drive train is updated.

With all due respect, I would *never* buy a used WRX. I'm not sure there is a more beat on car out there. Seriously, I'm not trying to disrespect you...sounds like you got a good one. They're out there, but IMO most are rented mules.

To the OP, don't rule out the CVT. They get rave reviews, and they'll be faster than the MT.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

My recommendations:

With all due respect, I would *never* buy a used WRX. I'm not sure there is a more beat on car out there. Seriously, I'm not trying to disrespect you...sounds like you got a good one. They're out there, but IMO most are rented mules.

To the OP, don't rule out the CVT. They get rave reviews, and they'll be faster than the MT.

You're getting all excited over nothing, bubba. That's not to say that I agree with you, mind you...

Leftover means a new car that didn't sell and is sitting on the lot when the next model year cars start arriving. I bought my '06 in '06, a month or so before the '07s came out.

Good reviews, record sales, a new market with the CVT version for those who don't want to have to change gear, and, from what I've heard, they're not staying on lots for long.

I'd wait for the 2016, so the worst bugs are worked out of the design and the rush to buy has died down.

It just depends on how long you want to wait; I paid MSRP for my MS3 back in July 2007(the car was "hot" the car having one several comparison tests going away as well as making it on to the Car and Driver and Automobile Magazine 10 best lists). All of my local dealers were asking $2k to $4 over sticker and requiring a signed buyer's order and a deposit BEFORE a test drive.

I wanted a specific color and trim level and and I found a highly rated dealer in Cincinnati; the salesman(a fellow Triumph bike owner and track geek) offered a test drive with no games and later found "my" car at a dealer near Akron. The car was flatbedded down at no charge and I also received free 5k mile oil changes for as long as I own the car.

Normally I buy used(CPO, usually) but in this case I wanted the car and I had been looking for a new track rat/toy/daily driver for 7 months. To this day I don't regret it- and had I waited I probably would not have been able to get the color I wanted- it was dropped mid way through the 2008 MY.

It all has to do with your priorities and your level of patience...

Well, here in Nashville they were quoting sticker or a few hundred below.

I started doing some research on the forums and seeing where guys bought them for well under invoice, even almost a year ago. So I started e-mailing dealers, and one (not in this area) came back with a couple hundred under invoice, which I believe is a fair deal, if not a great deal.

It's a start... I've only been researching since Thurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back