is thier a difference with different oil catchcans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:) ive been reading u online about oil catch cans! Some have used a fram G3 or G5 fuel filter between the pvc hose, others have done the home depot/walmart water oil seperator with a steel sponge stuffed in it, others have simply bought on eboy, or amazon.com, the entire assembly. But some say the cheaper ones dont have inside what the more expensive models do too catch hold the oil.
Is thier thier differences? Like would they all work the same? or better? or worse? imlooking too put one in my 98 corolla.On corolland.com, some have made one, using a jar, some brake line too. i dont know which ones i should get, which ones would catch more or all oil, or do they all work the same regardless?

Ideally you want the largest volume With the most baffles and convoluted path for the gas to take. All of this should be stuffed with coalescing medium like Brillo pads or wire wool or scotchbrite or similar. Officially the dry clean gas should go back into the intake to displace oxygen, reduce power and increase the chance of ping. Leave it all in the car but disconnect it, and swap the hoses offer at infection time
wink.gif

i see thanks:)whatim wanting too know is, would a fram G3 or G5 gas filter or a oil/water seperator for $15 work the same? or just as good, or better or worse, compared too an actual ebay/amazon oil catch can?

Don't know about corolla, but my Caprice started to melt a plastic fuel filter.

I've since become partial to using AC refrigerant driers. Seem to work the best.

I've also used the driers for air compressors from harbor freight to good effect.

You can buy those little air dryers in the compresser section at Home Depot, but I would look for a Volvo B 18, B 20, or 21 at a junkyard, they come stock with one. Those engines needed no PCV valve. If the dryer clogged, the rear main seal started weeping.
The unit is attached to the block on the drivers side and a hose runs to the intake. I don't know what Volvo does these days, I don't even know who makes their engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I don't know what Volvo does these days, I don't even know who makes their engines.

My 04 S60R had a flame trap on the side of the block under the intake manifold. There was a hose off the flame trap that dumped into the intake.

I have a dual Conceptual Polymer catch can setup on my 2013 Silverado. The regular catch can followed by the high efficiency catch can. In almost 7000 miles, the engine "used" 8 oz of oil. In that time, the catch cans captured 6 oz of it. So the engine only used 2 oz of oil in almost 7000 miles. I like the glass jar versions as I can see all the junk they capture.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/FilterSelectionPage.html

So many choices, with all of them claiming to be the best. I will stay out of that food fight. But there is a pretty good read on all of this stuff here.....

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV Line Oil Removal 102.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back