Drove a Tesla "D" model today, Oh boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
The V8 Engine has been around longer than you & your parents have
A rather bizarre comparison. The trend is obvious if you open your eyes.

Originally Posted By: RhondaHonda
I'm assuming your buddy got the new sportier seats in his. How would they be for a bigger person, 6'3", 220?

These are the newer seats and the owner is quite a tall guy, he raves about the seats. I'm 200 pounds, 5-10 and muscular. The seats fit me very well.

Yes, this car is a P85D

The wheels are aftermarket 20 inch. I think they look great.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Insurance companies love cars that go 0-60 in 3 seconds! And families in minivans need only remember to get out of the way. All is well.

They don't matter, lol
smile.gif

They are resilient.. they will be ok.

Originally Posted By: Kiwi_ME
The V8 Engine has been around longer than you & your parents have
A rather bizarre comparison. The trend is obvious if you open your eyes.

People have been touting the V8's demise since the first gas crisis!

It's simply not done yet. It may be legislated out of existence but it offers great efficiency in many platforms and gets more fuel efficient every year.

20 years from now the V8 will sound as odd and perhaps even charming as a one-cylinder horseless carriage does today.

I like the conventional exterior looks of the Tesla but wish they would make a smaller and less-expensive model for the real world.

The V8 Engine has been around longer than you & your parents have . I highly doubt it! Lmao

Yes it has, and its an antiquated relic whose base technology dates back to the steam engine of the 19th century. Good riddance when they're all replaced by electric.

From a thermodynamics perspective, internal combustion piston engines are pathetically inefficient.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
My friend shows up with his new Tesla Dual Motor monster. So, after a little bit of persuasion, he lets me drive it. As always, driving a Tesla is immensely satisfying. In my opinion, they are the finest driving sedans ever built.

So, he directs me to come to a complete stop, then "stab" the accelerator to the floor. OMG. I was not ready for that. I drive an 11 second car and this thing out launches mine by a factor of 2. The initial launch was hard enough to make me dizzy. Probably because my head slammed the headrest! It's stupid fast off the line, and I mean stupid fast.

OK, so the rest of the car is incredible too......

Sounds like my experience when my neighbor showed up with his a couple months ago. Except for the wheels, looks just like the one in your picture. Driving the Teslsa absolutely ruined me for every other car. I defy anyone to drive one of these and hop out without an enormous grin on your face. They really are that good.

I have driven (and owned) some seriously fast cars in my life, or so I thought.

Hitting the fun pedal on this work of art produces a eerily silent rush of acceleration and an avalanch of torque that just has to be experienced first hand to be believed. I had to rewrite my automotive bucket list after driving this amazing machine. Lamborghinis, Ferraris, they look and sound nice and all, but forget it....Tesla is at the top.

Originally Posted By: quint

Sounds like my experience when my neighbor showed up with his a couple months ago.

The "D" dual motor model just came out. I'd guess you drove the, still very impressive, standard model.

Last edited:
If I came into a large sum of money somehow, I'd own one in a heartbeat. Gorgeous, except the boy racer rims. I'd slap on some custom ones.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What I like Tesla Model-S is it looks like a normal beautifully crafted 4-dr sedan, it doesn't show any clue about it's an EV likes BMW i3 and I8 or Toyota Prius or Nissan Leaf.

Agree. Teslas have a classy, understated look. The biggest gripe I have with most alt fuel vehicles is not the alt fuel part, it's the bizarre appearance and needless complexity for the sake of complexity.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: quint

Sounds like my experience when my neighbor showed up with his a couple months ago.

The "D" dual motor model just came out. I'd guess you drove the, still very impressive, standard model.

Yes, correct, he has an S model. I should have clarified. He's already drooling over the D model. So am I...!

I saw two Tesla's in the wild on the same day in my town a few weeks ago. Hastily snapped cellie of the one spotted on my way to work:

150105_002_zps2baa4e0e.jpg

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
20 years from now the V8 will sound as odd and perhaps even charming as a one-cylinder horseless carriage does today.

I like the conventional exterior looks of the Tesla but wish they would make a smaller and less-expensive model for the real world.

The Model X is due for delivery in the spring of 2016.

And the Model 3 is expected in 2017, a 3-series sized sedan at around $35k.

http://jalopnik.com/tesla-reported-calling-next-car-the-model-iii-1605647688

I figure I'd wait a year or two to get the bugs worked out and pick one up in 2018/2019. Should be about the right time for needing a new car too.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I still prefer the sound and feel of a true V8.

To me, the lack of sound is about the ONLY negative/drawback to this vehicle (besides the cost of course).
wink.gif

For those who want/need absolute quiet, it is the PERFECT ride!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I still prefer the sound and feel of a true V8.

To me, the lack of sound is about the ONLY negative/drawback to this vehicle (besides the cost of course).
wink.gif

For those who want/need absolute quiet, it is the PERFECT ride!
thumbsup2.gif

I find that both the electric motorcycles and the Tesla's do exhibit sounds of "power" when it's asked for. You know when the motors are producing max output and it sounds good. For that matter, most of today's vehicles engines are so quiet and smooth, there really is little difference in "visceral sounds" between the Tesla and the internal combustion competition.

The model 3 is something that really appeals to me. I drive 4.5 miles each way to work. On the weekends, I drive any where from 10 to 100 miles. Assuming a 250 mile range, I could go a week plus on one charge.

Cujet, you should change your signature line now, as it seems that maybe all wheel drive electric cars rule, not turbos!
smile.gif

I want a Tesla so bad! My dream garage when my lotto numbers come up will consist of a Tesla Model S P85D, a new Corvette and a Lamborghini Huracan.

Sounds like a thrilling car to drive in both dynamics and acceleration.
It is attractive in a generic Kia/Hyundai/Mazda sort of way.
Nothing distinctive in this car's body design.
These cars seem almost too perfect.
I find myself wondering what the downside is.
Granted that Elon Musk isn't exactly waiting for his next EBT top-up to buy the groceries, but the resources available to him are certainly no more than those available to any major manufacturer.
Why has no other manufacturer built a serious modern EV?
Are there some hidden gremlins here, or is this car really as good as it seems to be?
I could buy a basic Model S for a not unreasonable sum and drive it on my commute every day. If I happened to forget to plug it in for a day or two, all would still be well.
Tesla seems to have gone well beyond what anybody else has achieved in an EV.
This is a car you'd buy because it really seems that good.
It just happens to have batteries rather than a fuel tank.
Meanwhile, BMW and Mercedes offer laughable EVs for substantial money.
Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back