Fram XG9018 @ ~11,600 - media failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
....I'm going to start a spreadsheet for Ultra failures. As soon as there is a second one.

Here's a second more recent Ultra cartridge failure, only much worse than the OP's. Complete detachment of media from end caps over a wide area.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3434977/Fram_Ultra_FAILURE

And as comparison a very similar type failure, only this time in an Extra Guard cartridge. So 'based on the similarity' it's not limited to an XG specific construction exception.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3411091/1

Given the much more limited posting of cartridges here and afaik no similar type failures of other brands posted, one could conclude imo there may be a design issue.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
....I'm going to start a spreadsheet for Ultra failures. As soon as there is a second one.

Here's a second more recent Ultra cartridge failure, only much worse than the OP's. Complete detachment of media from end caps over a wide area.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3434977/Fram_Ultra_FAILURE

And as comparison a very similar type failure, only this time in an Extra Guard cartridge. So 'based on the similarity' it's not limited to an XG specific construction exception.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3411091/1

Given the much more limited posting of cartridges here and afaik no similar type failures of other brands posted, one could conclude imo there may be a design issue.

Those two aren't the same as this one. I wouldn't be too concerned about these two anyway since alot of crossovers for these part numbers don't have end caps.

Before you get started, I don't use Fram filters and don't care anything about your crusade against them.

Last edited:
^^^^lol. You made the statement, I simply posted another failure as accurately noted. And the 'topic'd' Fram cartridges don't use a no endcap design, it's nylon/composite as used by many other manufacturers. So the no endcap reference is irrelevant to the discussion.

And if I had any "crusade" against Fram, I wouldn't be using an FU spin on right now. Perhaps you are projecting.

I have 8 used Purolator PureOne PL10241 oil filters from my Mazda6 I keep in storage (keeping as warranty proof). As my warranty is about up I'm kinda curious to cut them all open and see if they are torn like people on this forum report they do. I ran 7500 mile OCIS on them. Hmm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
I have 8 used Purolator PureOne PL10241 oil filters from my Mazda6 I keep in storage (keeping as warranty proof). As my warranty is about up I'm kinda curious to cut them all open and see if they are torn like people on this forum report they do. I ran 7500 mile OCIS on them. Hmm.

Start cuttin' and seeing what's going on. There has been 11 recorded 10241 failures in the spread sheet.

Failures Spread Sheet

Quote:
... I don't care...

It's ok, I didn't expect you to honor your statement. Just pointed out the facts.

This is the point where your posts take on the quality of a twelve year old girl facebooking about some imagined slight that is just going to be end of the world. While it is entertaining to read, I have no desire to be involved in it.

36.gif

^^^LOL And yet you keep posting about it. Projecting for sure.

Go back and look at your posts after someone responds to you in disagreement more than twice. You do it every time, and the PM's fly. I guarantee I'll have 5 by tomorrow morning begging me not to bail on this and suggesting how to get the funniest reaction.

Frankly I couldn't care less about your PM buddies. When you can't dispute the facts as posted, guess you had to take another tack. Enjoy your PM's.

Reading this thread has reminded me why I rarely visit
BITOG anymore. Either the site is inundated with paid shills, or there is such a brand bias for some that it borders on mental illness.

Yep, I said it.

Thanks for posting the pictures OP.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Reading this thread has reminded me why I rarely visit
BITOG anymore. Either the site is inundated with paid shills, or there is such a brand bias for some that it borders on mental illness.

Yep, I said it.

You said it alright. Just changed the oil today on the Dodge and I am not going to bother with the filter pictures here. Not worth it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back