Is Subaru now an after thought company?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm...subaru is growing...and thriving..and are working on their sixth straight year of record US. sales.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140707/RETAIL05/307079959/subaru-struggles-to-satisfy-customers

U think the oil burning is a big deal? wait til they introduce Direct Injection next year.

The slogan 'this isnt your fathers oldsmoble'..applies to modern subarus for sure.

The subaru we know is a 2.2L, 4 speed automatic, timing belt, fuel injected (timex).

The subaru we will see is a 2.5L, CVT, timing chain, direct injection. (?????).

Buying a Subaru Forester with the new FB25 engine was the worst car buying mistake I've ever made...

Learn from my mistakes, don't buy a Subaru. It's like a mom and pop organization that can't own their mistakes and fix them.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Umm...subaru is growing...and thriving..and are working on their sixth straight year of record US. sales.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140707/RETAIL05/307079959/subaru-struggles-to-satisfy-customers

U think the oil burning is a big deal? wait til they introduce Direct Injection next year.

The slogan 'this isnt your fathers oldsmoble'..applies to modern subarus for sure.

The subaru we know is a 2.2L, 4 speed automatic, timing belt, fuel injected (timex).

The subaru we will see is a 2.5L, CVT, timing chain, direct injection. (?????).

And what's the price point going to be? I am amazed at how reliable the port injection on Toyota products has become. Direct injection...not so much.

It's always entertaining to watch posters use facts and logic in a brand bashing thread, whether it's about Government Motors, Just Empty Every Pocket, or the beloved Toyota and Honda.

I can't ever remember a dedicated Subaru bashing thread here. My neighbor owns one. He is a left wing, old hippie from the '60's (he uses a Hookah). That explains enough for me.
wink.gif

Subaru may have engine problems, but their real downfall is their marketing choices:

lancearmstrong1.jpg
18d413jh832gpjpg.jpg
article-1358399-0D414719000005DC-128_634x327.jpg
465.jpg

Subaru does seem to have the most pronounced Love-Hate paradox of all vehicles. When somebody here announces they bought one, everyone gives a hearty congratulatory pat on the back about the most reliable vehicle on the planet. When someone brings up a problem, people come out of the woodwork to proclaim all of Subaru's downfalls. Very interesting.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
I would begin to wonder about sky active issues before labeling Subaru an after thought company.

Find me images of dirty valves.... There are none. Mazda seems to have gotten their GDI to run without valve deposits. The antiquated Speed3 MZR did not have carbon buildup issues either, at least it wasn't the focal point of the GDI MZR engine in the speed3.

The only known issue with SkyActiv gas engines is fuel dilution, which some claim can be corrected by using mid grade ie 89.

The Subaru engines are plagued with faulty piston rings, which Subaru has fail to correct. Subaru is also facing a class action lawsuit

As one of the earlier posters mentioned, Subaru is coming on strong in sales. Since they don't have a "hot" new product, I have to think that they built their business the old-fashioned way, with nose-to-the-grindstone type attributes like value, reliability, etc. But yeah, check Truedelta. They are evidently one of the few cars that still has good driver visibility. That would be a huge factor to me, and I bet for a sales rep that would be a big deal as well.

Subaru is one of the manufacturers that will sell you a good extended factory warranty for a fair (under $1,000) price although unlike Ford, they don't allow their dealers to advertise price on the 'net, and the dealer will gouge you on the price if it can, (or even try and sell you a non-factory warranty).

If I were serious about a Subaru, I would look up the coverage terms for the extended warranty, find the most comparable Ford ESP warranty on floodford.com, and try and buy the Subaru warranty at that price. After all, if its half as durable as they like to pretend, they ought to be able to undersell Ford on a factory warranty, right?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: SkyActivG
As the title states. I'm beginning to wonder if Subaru is an after thought company because of all of its horrific mechanical issues since joining forces with Toyota. The FB20 and FB25 still have oil consumption issues that are far worse than a Rotary engine. The DECADES old EJ series or motors seemed to be the most reliable. I have researched the FA20 in the BRZ and that motor is full of problems. What has happened to Subaru!?!?! I use to own an Impreza EJ253 with 0 problems. I think Subaru needs to ditch the Boxer engine or figure out how to work out the kinks. The oil consumption issue is now appearing in the new Legacy.
How would joning forces with Toyota to build a sports car with a Subaru engine affect THEIR engine design? They are not using Toyota engines and Toyota is not designing boxers. Subaru ought to be talking to Porsche about improving boxer engine design. AS far as I can see, aside from their silly ad representations the reason they stick to the boxer is to have the back of the engine in the center of the car rather than on one side. Makes for a more "conventional;" layout, which they claim not to be. Having owned some VW bugs and boxer motorcycles(which I like) there are always unique problems I have noticed with a flat boxer design, which Porsche, can deal with using cubic money.

Toyota probably gave Subaru a deadline to get their engines overhauled. This caused Subaru to stop using the EJ series motors from the 80s. I think that Subaru failed to put enough money into R&D for the FA and FB series engines. The BRZ/FRS is a mess drive-train wise and engine wise. It's sad to see that the new Legacy is being plagued with oil consumption issues. Who wants a car that eats a quart every 1000 miles, which will ultimately lead to a faulty emissions system. No wonder Toyota is looking to Mazda for SkyActiv engines for it's resigned Yaris. The new Mazda2 and Yaris are to share the same motor.

We really wanted to like our Forester XT. Of course it was a used purchase, but it had impeccable service records and was in fantastic shape inside (OK shape outside). But issues that the selling dealer, and then the local Subaru dealer, were unable to resolve ultimately ended in the vehicle being bought back and us with the Charger.

I really wanted to try it out in the snow this winter
frown.gif
But when researching the issue(s) we were having, it came rather apparent that being a relatively unique vehicle also meant that they had some relatively unique issues. So we are back to having a driveway full of N/A V8's.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
It's always entertaining to watch posters use facts and logic in a brand bashing thread, whether it's about Government Motors, Just Empty Every Pocket, or the beloved Toyota and Honda.

I can't ever remember a dedicated Subaru bashing thread here. My neighbor owns one. He is a left wing, old hippie from the '60's (he uses a Hookah). That explains enough for me.
wink.gif

Subaru may have engine problems, but their real downfall is their marketing choices:

lancearmstrong1.jpg
18d413jh832gpjpg.jpg
article-1358399-0D414719000005DC-128_634x327.jpg
465.jpg

Subaru does seem to have the most pronounced Love-Hate paradox of all vehicles. When somebody here announces they bought one, everyone gives a hearty congratulatory pat on the back about the most reliable vehicle on the planet. When someone brings up a problem, people come out of the woodwork to proclaim all of Subaru's downfalls. Very interesting.

There's no brand bashing. The thread was to see what other bitog members think of Subaru's never ending oil consumption issues. If I were bashing. I would flat out say Subaru's are Junk and not to buy one. I've owned an Impreza with the EJ engine, which was very reliable to 70k. It was traded on a CR-Z

What about Ken Block? He seems to represent Subaru in a better light. The fact is, if all these issues really existed why are their sales so good? Clearly their cars are quite well made if sales are increasing. People like them and Subaru is doing well. Have had an 84 GL, and 98 Legacy and I know people with newer models...They all love them. Maybe the benefits outweigh the negatives. I would choose Sub over Mazda any day of the week. Everyones experience varies.

Oh and comparing Ford sales to Subaru? Not a valid comparison. Id say thats like comparing Mobil's sales to a boutique oils sales.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
The fact is, if all these issues really existed why are their sales so good? Clearly their cars are quite well made the sales are increasing. People like them and Subaru is doing well.

Yeah, and where is the data on oil usage? Some new cars in every brand will use some oil. I don't know that Subaru has an excessive number of them. Maybe they do, but I haven't seen the data that shows that.

There's no brand bashing. The thread was to see what other bitog members think of Subaru's never ending oil consumption issues. If I were bashing. I would flat out say Subaru's are Junk and not to buy one. I've owned an Impreza with the EJ engine, which was very reliable to 70k. It was traded on a CR-Z

Point taken. I noticed the "California/college town" and "last Subaru I will ever buy" type posts more than others and my attempt at sarcasm/humor was to point out that "facts" used against biased opinions is mostly wasted. And, my definition of brand bashing is probably different than yours.

I haven't visited any Subie forums in awhile, but the last time there I noticed there was still denial if this is really a problem vs. internet amplification (even after the 2 class actions).

To answer your question, while unavailability of a 2wd was the major reason I opted against the Forester 2 years ago, the oil consumption issue DID effect my thoughts regarding Subarus.

I do stand behind my comment that the love/hate paradox surrounding Subaru seems to be much greater than other brands!

Take care.

All brands have their issues. One example is GM's 5.3 which had consumption issues related to AFM. Subaru's had head gasket issues for years. Except for enthusiast's the average Joe doesn't know about these problems.

This is a minor issue and they are going to continue to sell like hotcakes.

The primary motive of this thread is the Oil burning issues. Subaru has yet to remedy the problem because it is apparent in the all new Legacy.

Love those ads...had a nostalgia moment here. I can remember when those cars were on the road...and I thought they were a little odd...but cool.

To be fair I did a little research and it seems that Subaru did an engine redesign to fix the head gasket issues on the 2.5(can't remember when that happened). I wasn't aware of the oil consumption problem...bummer.

I also know repeat Subaru owners who will buy nothing else.

Love those ads...had a nostalgia moment here. I can remember when those cars were on the road...and I thought they were a little odd...but cool.

To be fair I did a little research and it seems that Subaru did an engine redesign to fix the head gasket issues on the 2.5(can't remember when that happened). I wasn't aware of the oil consumption problem...bummer.

The primary motive of this thread is the Oil burning issues. Subaru has yet to remedy the problem because it is apparent in the all new Legacy.

There is probably 100 other subaru oil burning threads and probably more toyota oil burning threads. Subaru like Toyota and other companies are cutting corners to keep up with technology and pricing. Yeah those companies used to focus on engines, but it became a war of who had the best/most cup holders, or bluetooth, or navigation, leather heated memory seats.. [censored] some people have to have the keyless ignition. The list goes on and on of what a modern car has to have to be competitive.

Is there a perfect automobile today? Has there ever been? Take a drive down the road and look at all the multimillion dollar service centers..every dealer has them..along with 10 or 20 mechanics that work 40 hour weeks.

Subarus from the 80s leaked oil and rusted like [censored], subarus from the 90s werent too bad. The 2000s gave us a thirst for power..so they created the 2.5...it all went down hill for subaru after that. As soon as they fixed the piston slap and head gaskets they decided to put a timing chain on it...now it burns oil. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
I would begin to wonder about sky active issues before labeling Subaru an after thought company.

Find me images of dirty valves.... There are none. Mazda seems to have gotten their GDI to run without valve deposits. The antiquated Speed3 MZR did not have carbon buildup issues either, at least it wasn't the focal point of the GDI MZR engine in the speed3.

The only known issue with SkyActiv gas engines is fuel dilution, which some claim can be corrected by using mid grade ie 89.

The Subaru engines are plagued with faulty piston rings, which Subaru has fail to correct. Subaru is also facing a class action lawsuit

Good to know. I am using premium fuel in mine. I dumped the OE oil at 3,730 miles and filled with M1 EP 0w20. Engine is much quieter now. I broke in mine aggressively. Fresh oil seemed to have helped. I will do a UOA around 7k miles on EP 0w20.

I think Subarus are great and very reliable despite the oil consumption issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back