2014 Elantra 1.8L M1 5w20 EP 5100 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
8100 total miles on 2014 Elantra Limited 1.8L
Changed break in oil at 1000 miles then changed at 3k miles
This Analysis oil was in car from 3k miles and tested at 8100 miles oil change
Blackstone report
STEVE: Your new Hyundai is looking very nice at just 8,100 miles on the engine. This is probably only thesecond oil change, so we were expected some mildly high metal simply due to the wear-in process, butthat's not the case. All the metals look great compared to universal averages, which show typical wearlevels for this type of engine after about 5,800 miles on the oil. The oil itself is in great shape. The viscosityis fine for 5W/20 and there's no fuel or coolant. Low insolubles and silicon show excellent oil and airfiltration. Looking good as far as we can see.

OIL M1 5w20 EP (OEM filter)
MILES IN USE 5.1k
MILES 8.1k
SAMPLE TAKEN 11/17/2014

ALUMINUM 5
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 9
COPPER 4
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 89
NICKEL 1
MANGANESE 2
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 3
BORON 60
SILICON 23
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 1088
MAGNESIUM 754
PHOSPHORUS 678
ZINC 763
BARIUM 1

INSOLUBLES 0.1
WATER 0.0
FUEL ANTIFREEZE 0.0
FLASHPOINT ºF 405
SUS VIS 210ºF 50.6
cSt @ 100ºC 7.45

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I'd guess there is some fuel. That viscosity is too low for M1.

Blackstone said...The oil itself is in great shape. The viscosity
is fine for 5W/20 and there's no fuel or coolant.
So do you think that Blackstone's analysis is wrong about the fuel?
Who do you recommend to do my next report?

FLASHPOINT ºF 405 Blackstone says should be greater 355

SUS VIS 210ºF 50.6 Blackstone says should be 46-59

cSt Viscosity @10°C 7.45 Blackstone says should be 6.0-10.2

Geeze I thought I had a good report till your post.
I am no expert but everything seems to be in spec.
Hyundai recommends using Quaker State 5w20 conventional in this Elantra
I guess that it is a big mistake using M1 Extended performance if it's viscosity is too low.
Good to know. So this M1 EP isn't up to par huh? I should just go to the cheap Quaker State?

Last edited:
Great report Stevie. You are correct, .5% fuel is insignificant and even if there were some fuel, no reason to believe any harm is being done.

Thanks for sharing.

You are good to go. No more UOA needed. Now push that OCI to 2x per year or every 7500 miles.
I hope my (imaginary) UOA with Walmart Supertech (Wpp) synthetic is just as good
smile.gif

And yes, I don't understand where badtlc is coming from here. Even with low index improver % you will see some moderate loss of KV100 ( "oil shredding") with engine break in. Maybe he thought it would do better, EP 5w2) should be Very shear stable.

There isn't anything wrong with your report. Fuel is a very hard test for labs. I don't know of anyone that can do it with great accuracy. Everything looks good on your report.

But, 5W20 doesn't typically shear that much, especially M1. Flash point and fuel content are tough tests to do with good accuracy. The lower viscosity leads me to believe you do have some fuel in your oil despite what blackstone says as I don't think the 1.8L is going to cause much mechanical shear on a stable oil. It isn't bad at all, just things to consider if you are wanting to more than a face value glance of numbers as they are presented.

I would run syn in that engine if I could (can) buy it for less than what it costs for the QS green bottle. Otherwise QSGB @ 7500 milers as mentioned above will take you well past 100K miles

Quote:

cSt Viscosity @10°C 7.45 Blackstone says should be 6.0-10.2

Where does Blackstone get these "should be #'s?

The SAE J300 chart says 5.6 to 9.3cSt for a 20 grade. I've seen these "should be" #'s on many UOA's that do not corrolate to the J300 chart. Just curious.

The experts say . . . that if the engine is excessively idled just before the oil analysis sample is taken . . . there very well could be elevated fuel residues that show up in the sample.
So run the car to full warm up temps, shut it off and draw sample immed.
Is the level of fuel residue in this sample within that realm ?
I'm not an expert . . . I just read and try to understand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back