Make your own Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why mix diesel with gasoline to put in your fuel tank? Gas already has the alcohol, so why not just add diesel to your fuel? You will have all three components then in the tank. How much are you adding to you fuel tanks per gallon of gasoline?

I'd imagine the treatment is the same/similar.....since the whole idea is to "mimmick" the Seafoam receipe....and the Seafoam treatment is 1 oz. per gallon of fuel (in the tank), or 1.5 oz. per quart of oil (in the crankcase)......

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Why mix diesel with gasoline to put in your fuel tank? Gas already has the alcohol, so why not just add diesel to your fuel? You will have all three components then in the tank. How much are you adding to you fuel tanks per gallon of gasoline?

I did a few times, and a lockedup fuel injector in my Subaru started to function properly again. When I didn't added diesel, the injector stoped clicking again. Got rid of that injector. It worked above 2,5 k rpms only in a pure mogas diet.

I rarely use any of this type of product, but Seafoam corporate is close by-been around for many many years. I think it's a smaller family type operation as I recall but don't know who/where the blending production happens.

I'm not sure that adding diesel to burn in a gasoline burner is a good thing, but i came here to learn so hopefully others with the knowledge will discuss.

on edit:

could be because of the high sulfur content.

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain that SeaFoam is a bit more than just Diesel, naptha and alcohol. I've got a pretty good nose on me and I use SeaFoam a lot!

that list of ingredients does not include diesel, and although no one has mentioned whether it is bad for a gas burner, i probably would not add it to a mixture if i were trying to make seafoam, just so the color would look the same as seafoam. just my opinion until i could find out on the effects of diesel fuel in a gasoline engine.

Last edited:
About a month ago, I wanted to do a piston soak on a vehicle and all my SeaFoam cans were at my house - I was working in my father's shop and not at my home. I had the ingredients on hand on this shelves so I made this "home-brew" SeaFoam. Worked fine. Compared to SeaFoam, it was a little yellower which I attribute to their likely more highly refined "pale oil" vs. diesel, but considering the dilution, it's a non-starter.

I would not hesitate to use it again in a pinch.

Last edited:
as a soak I prolly would have no problem with a home brew, but burning it in a gasoline engine i would have some reservations. and once again this is just intuition, i am no expert on this field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back