Could I have caused any problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today i was driving my manual transmission and wasn't paying much attention to what was going on.
As i was approaching an intersection, I shifted from fifth to second gear travelling about 35 miles/hour. (Didn't rev match) The car immediately slowed down (obviously) and the front end of the car went down a bit followed by a clunk noise then the revs went up significantly. (not redline however) Following this, about a 2 minute drive home, i didn't feel anything abnormal but I'm wondering if this could have caused any damage?

Unless you hit 10,000 RPM and floated a valve right into the piston then you've likely done no more harm than the typical female driver.
smile.gif

I think you'll be fine although you might have taken some life away from your clutch.

You answered your own question. The clutch took the hit. That's how coil springs break in the disc.

Pay attention while driving.

Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Or drive an automatic...

Genius idea. Wonder why I didn't think of that one?

Originally Posted By: 268i
Originally Posted By: kozanoglu
Or drive an automatic...

Genius idea. Wonder why I didn't think of that one?

There's one in every crowd, best to ignore the peanut gallery.

If you didn't notice anything, then you're more than likely fine.

What were you driving sir? Unless it is extremely delicate, no harm except to your ego. I hate it when I do something like that.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
What were you driving sir? Unless it is extremely delicate, no harm except to your ego. I hate it when I do something like that.

Smoky

Chevrolet Sonic

Last edited:
If you feel a bump or a jerk you probably are doing something you should not do. Downshifting while slowing rather than leaving it in 4th or fifth and putting it in neurtal just before you stop moving is substituting expensive clutch wear for cheap brake pad (relatively speaking) wear.
Your typical automatic doesn't shift into it's "first" gear until just before you stop.

Last edited:
Automatic is for those who do not pay much attention, does not require total awareness. My thought follows that.

Everyone that drives manual trans cars have done it atleast once..

The cars that is used by drivingschools here are all manuals and just think about the gearmisses that the students have done on them daily and they are still working just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back