Battery Terminals: Dielectric Grease or CRC Spray?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While picking up my new auto battery, I bought a pair of the green/red anti-corrosive battery washers and a battery terminal cleaning tool. Salesman there also asked if I wanted a can of battery terminal protector (CRC brand I think) to coat the terminals after installation.

Something close to this: http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05046-Technician-Terminal-Protector/dp/B000CIPUNC

I said no thanks, as I have always coated the battery terminals with a liberal amount of dielectric grease before putting the assembly together, and it has seemed to work.

Question: Which method is better? Should I stick with a generous slathering of dielectric grease, or is the spray battery terminal protector the best way to go? I think they sold a battery terminal cleaning spray in addition to the protector as well.

Doesn't really matter, so long as you're insulating the cables from oxygen. Old school methods include an old bottle of nail Polish, and gluing a penny to the top of the battery.

By using DI-electric grease are you trying to kill contact between your battery and your car?

SwedishRider said:
I have always coated the battery terminals with a liberal amount of dielectric grease before putting the assembly together
I think using dielectric grease on terminals after they are connected works well; this is what I do. Additionally, I add grease to the felt washers as they age.

Since dielectric literally means "two electric", I would avoid using the grease on the terminals before making the connections.

It has always amazed me how di-electric grease is grossly misunderstood on a site such as this.

Dielectric grease is an electrical insulator. It's OK on the surface of the connected terminal. But if the battery is properly sealed you really don't need anything.

I've always coated them with high temp red grease, learned in HS auto-shop. It doesn't melt or run and I've never had corrosion on any cables in 20 years. For a few bucks you can get a tub of it that will last a lifetime. Must be high temp though...

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
It has always amazed me how di-electric grease is grossly misunderstood on a site such as this.

Wow, that has to be the lowest-yield infomercial or link I've seen in years. I deleted the link in the quote to spare anyone else the pain.

To the OP:

Insulators are good. Another tip, periodically WAX or clean the battery to make sure precipitate is not creating a short, often from the retaining strap. I put insulating tape underneath mine (battery and retaining strap) to keep that from happening.

1) Keep the battery clean
2) Keep the battery charged ( put a trickle charger on it weekly if the car is driven short distances or infreqently)

I generally get 10+ years out of battery by following the above two rules, and buying Johnson Controls manufactured batteries (Interstate, etc.) But if you bought an Excide battery, no hope, really.

Last edited:
Hello, Years ago I bought a battery and the guys applied Permatex terminal protector.
It was candy apple red and remained in service for years.
It's so tidy. I've never had a bit of corrosion on any battery I've serviced since buying a can.
I dismiss globs of grease or Vaseline. I only recently bought my second can.

Clean battery....use a paper shield with a hole to spray the posts...clamp 'em on.....spray the terminal.

Keep your battery clean. Kira

The video was an attempt to show a well-known company applying di-electric grease directly to the wire/connectors. Resistance will increase (almost un-measurable) but will protect from corrosion. The OP is doing nothing wrong by applying grease to the battery posts before installing the terminals. However, I never put anything (spray, grease, or other) on the battery, posts, or terminals. Messy. Simple clean is enough.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O

Wow, that has to be the lowest-yield infomercial or link I've seen in years. I deleted the link in the quote to spare anyone else the pain.

To the OP:

Insulators are good. Another tip, periodically WAX or clean the battery to make sure precipitate is not creating a short, often from the retaining strap. I put insulating tape underneath mine (battery and retaining strap) to keep that from happening.

1) Keep the battery clean
2) Keep the battery charged ( put a trickle charger on it weekly if the car is driven short distances or infreqently)

I generally get 10+ years out of battery by following the above two rules, and buying Johnson Controls manufactured batteries (Interstate, etc.) But if you bought an Excide battery, no hope, really.

Back in the day we used Vaseline...now I use nothing and just inspect the terminals once in a while. When needed, I clean them with a paste of baking soda and water using an old toothbrush.

The video was an attempt to show a well-known company applying di-electric grease directly to the wire/connectors. sistance will increase (almost un-measurable) but will protect from corrosion. The OP is doing nothing wrong by

Yeah, but it was a massively un-informative video and a few words could have sufficed. That was my point. I was not trying to egg you into a p''ing match, just increase the density of information in the thread. Of which this post does not help.
wink.gif

That is a low current application more than likely and when the connector is snapped together the metal contacts scrape away the grease for a metal on metal contact. Low voltage electricity will not flow through dielectric grease.

Still if the battery is not leaking or overcharging you don't anything.

I agree in spirit.
Threads should be boiled down and a list of contributors could be included at the end.

Take the "should I flush?" threads for example.
Flushing anything should be in a definition section.
Techniques need to be listed as general or vehicle specific.

Maintaining terminal cleanliness should be one post (perhaps with a video).

A little organization would be extremely helpful and might make the search functions work better. Kira

I use the felt washer, unsure if they help. I have used the red spray, just mask off the area with newspaper. Vaseline does work.

I think if your battery is not a "leaker" you will be fine with nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back