Tell me about the 2.0L High-Output EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
I personally would Not buy any Ecoboost engine. Even the ESP Warranty does Not cover the turbos! That says it all for me!

Apparently your info is wrong.

RISUPERCREWMAN wrong? At least he's consistent.

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentSer...s=1236173431164

Even the base PowertrainCARE plan covers the turbo.

Quote:

Covered components:
All Internal Lubricated Parts
Cylinder Block
Cylinder Heads
Flywheel
Manifold (Exhaust and Intake)
Manifold and Bolts
Oil Pan
Oil Pump
Seals and Gaskets
Thermostat
Thermostat Housing
Timing Chain Cover
Timing Chain (Gears or Belt)
Turbocharger/Supercharger Unit (Factory Installed)
Valve Covers
Water Pump

And of course the standard powertrain warranty (5/60,000) also covers the Turbo:

Quote:
(1) Your vehicle’s Powertrain components are covered for five years or
60,000 miles, whichever occurs first. The extended coverage applies to
the Engine: all internal lubricated parts, cylinder block, cylinder heads,
electrical fuel pump, electronic engine control unit, engine mounts,
flywheel, injection pump, manifold (exhaust and intake), manifold bolts,
oil pan, oil pump, seals and gaskets, thermostat, thermostat housing,
timing chain cover, timing chain (gears or belt),
turbocharger/supercharger unit, valve covers, water pump;

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/14frdwa3e.pdf

So I don't know where this tripe is being pulled from but it is wholly incorrect.

Mazda Skyactiv, reference Car and Driver's 10 Best List for 2015 models, they love it, both in Mazda 3 and the 6. And almost everybody raves about the Mazda CX5 too. Mazda is rockin'.
Ecoboost is cool, just too.... complicated of a solution.

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Mazda Skyactiv, reference Car and Driver's 10 Best List for 2015 models, they love it, both in Mazda 3 and the 6. And almost everybody raves about the Mazda CX5 too. Mazda is rockin'.

Agreed. Mazda has tuned their cars to handle a bit and reward a driver.

But DRIVE an Egobooster and see what power is. They make torque off idle that Mazda doesn't offer at full redline, table flat torque curve. Feels like a much larger engine.

I do feel Ford is way behind on their standard warranty coverage, but there's no question the EB motors are strong as the dickens. Each buyer will have to deal with the warranty as they see fit, it made a real difference to us recently when we bought our new Ram...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails

Agreed. Mazda has tuned their cars to handle a bit and reward a driver.

But DRIVE an Egobooster and see what power is. They make torque off idle that Mazda doesn't offer at full redline, table flat torque curve. Feels like a much larger engine.

I do feel Ford is way behind on their standard warranty coverage, but there's no question the EB motors are strong as the dickens. Each buyer will have to deal with the warranty as they see fit, it made a real difference to us recently when we bought our new Ram...

The only noticeable "lag" I've felt when driving one just feels like normal electronic fly-by-wire throttle lag. Can't even tell there is much turbo lag at all!

In 2013 I chose a Mazdaspeed 3 over the Focus ST because of my good luck with a first gen Speed 3 and the fact that the clutch slave cylinder is mounted outside the trans bell housing on the Speed. The Focus slave cylinder is inside the bell housing. It's a small thing but the idea of pulling the trans out to service / replace this one part made me re-up with Mazda.

Having said all this, I think the Focus ST is a great car and an excellent addition to the new generation of hot hatches.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Actually a reflash can be detected in most PCM's even without special programming designed to detect them. But few stealerships have the time or the expertise and equipment required. They're just not looking.

As long as the plug in OBD2 units the states (or service stations/dealers/etc. use if privatized) for vehicle inspections cannot detect them, or any 'ghosts' they leave behind, I will be very happy!
wink.gif

Most ECUs now have a flash counter, so the manufacturer/dealer will know how many times the ECU has been reprogrammed. If the dealer has flashed an ECU three times but the counter says five times, the dealer can be almost certain an aftermarket flash was installed and subsequently uninstalled. If the ECU is storing maximum boost and rpm numbers in non-volatile memory a tune may also be revealed. If I had a car in warranty I'd either go with the manufacturer's performance tune-Ford Racing, BMW M Performance, etc. to avoid any hassles- or else I'd wait until the warranty expired...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back