Remind me not to buy an awd Town and Country!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a family here. On vacation. 01 town and country van. It spit out the driveshaft that runs front to back and drives the rear end.

Local driveline places cant rebuild it. Discontinued from Chrysler.

A Google search turned up nothing. Can I remove the shaft and send them on their wayin FWD or will that damage something in the trans or transmission?

It's got to have some sort of differential in the transfercase or a clutch type coupling I think.

Provided it doesn't barf out all the ATF, I couldn't imagine it would harm a thing not having the rear drive-shaft in place. The owner's of that 2001 would be better off that way anyway. I don't think I've seen more than one AWD GC/T&C ever! Rare beasts to say the least.

The propeller shaft is showing as p/n 04641899AB.

That's for the 3.8 liter, $636 at Factory Chrysler Parts.

It should be in the system, somewhere.

EDIT: if it is AWD it would likely burn it out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AandPDan
The propeller shaft is showing as p/n 04641899AB.

That's for the 3.8 liter, $636 at Factory Chrysler Parts.

It should be in the system, somewhere.

EDIT: if it is AWD it would likely burn it out.

Dealer shows it being discontinued and not available.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Is there a driveline service company where you live? Houston has several that could repair / fabricate a new one I think. Just a thought....might be a little expensive though...
We have 2. Neither will touch it.

Rule #1,dont buy an AWD vehicle if you are going to keep it 14 years.Parts have a habit of being dropped (to ensure planned obsolescence)that might be needed to keep the AWD part going.Its laughable that 1984 FWD Caravans will live on while 2000s AWD models will die once their shafts/power transfer units give up.AWD buyers largely are playing "follow the neighbors" when it comes time to choose an AWD model over the more sensible 2WD version,and I guess carmakers would rather see you buy a new one rather than repair the old one.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Rule #1,dont buy an AWD vehicle if you are going to keep it 14 years.

Unless it is a Subaru....

Should be pretty easy to test it without the shaft right? They'd be better off without that extra drag anyways. A long as you can keep the fluid inside. I wonder what caused the issue to begin with?

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Link to drive shaft
Ill show that to my boss. thx!

Hopefully they actually have it, but a lot of online OE parts retailers just show the whole catalog as available, and if it's discontinued and nobody has one laying around, they let you know after you place the order and they look for it through their channels.

Unfortunately, if you don't have a rebuilder in your area, salvage is the only way. And of course that is hit or miss. Do you have LKQ in your area? They are probably your best bet and will usually let commercial customers return parts without much trouble. They are probably who I would be using in this situation.

Though, if possible, getting rid of this driveshaft entirely may be the best option if it won't leak fluid from either end.

Rule #1,dont buy an AWD vehicle if you are going to keep it 14 years.Parts have a habit of being dropped (to ensure planned obsolescence)that might be needed to keep the AWD part going.Its laughable that 1984 FWD Caravans will live on while 2000s AWD models will die once their shafts/power transfer units give up.AWD buyers largely are playing "follow the neighbors" when it comes time to choose an AWD model over the more sensible 2WD version,and I guess carmakers would rather see you buy a new one rather than repair the old one.

was waiting for someone to make up some rule about something in hindsight of someone elses plight.
39.gif
39.gif

Is the shaft mangled.. that's why they wont touch it?
It looks like a straight shaft with flanges and cv joints on the outside.
A lot of shops dont want to do setup, plus welding, plus materials, plus shop time for a part that should cost no more than $150. Setup time plus hourly plus material would cost more than what they think you'd pay.

Now find a speed shop with a kid just out of tech school and a "benji" you may get satisfaction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Should be pretty easy to test it without the shaft right? They'd be better off without that extra drag anyways. A long as you can keep the fluid inside. I wonder what caused the issue to begin with?
I'd hate to pull it and send them on their way across the desert and have the transfer case grenade due to no load from the rear shaft.

The center CV joint exploded. That resulted in a flopping driveshaft that came up through the floor before they got to the curb.

If it was mine I'd buy a cheap axle,cut it and weld it in the shaft where the old one is. The driveshaft shops are afraid of something new.

Last edited:
Rule #1,dont buy an AWD vehicle if you are going to keep it 14 years.Parts have a habit of being dropped (to ensure planned obsolescence)that might be needed to keep the AWD part going.Its laughable that 1984 FWD Caravans will live on while 2000s AWD models will die once their shafts/power transfer units give up.

No, just:

#1 - don't buy a complicated vehicle from a company that is known to make unreliable vehicles. Especially when said company has had, what 4 owners in the past 14 years.

#2 - don't buy a complicated vehicle that is in limited production and keep it for a long period of time.

I'm sure you can still get AWD parts for 13 year old Blazers, Explorers, F150's, Silverados. You can still get AWD parts for Freestyles, Subarus, Volvos, too. Difference is those vehicles were made in larger #'s.

That being said, I'm surprised there is nothing anywhere - how about one of the national junkyard outfits? Although my guess is the cost of the repair is going to be off the charts as the shaft alone from the link someone posted is $500.

Another option may be to remove the PTU and see if you can "convert" it to FWD only.

Good luck - this one is a tough one.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Rule #1,dont buy an AWD vehicle if you are going to keep it 14 years.

Unless it is a Subaru....

I like some of subarus cars, but they only offer awd. If i can't get fwd or rwd with selectable 4wd i don't want it. I just don't want the expense of awd repairs as i keep my cars a loong time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back