grinding calipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need about 5mm more clearance. Spokes clear the calipers OK the material needs to come off so that it can clear the bore of the wheel. The car is a 2014 mustang GT.

Has anyone ever done this before? Typically about what is the max material you can take off before I need to be seriously concerned?

Car is street driven and goes down a drag strip once in a great while. No road course/sport driving.

Last edited:
Instead of modifying the calipers, your best bet would be 5mm wheel spacers. Cheap, easy to install, and no modifications made to the car.

The wheel almost makes it as it is. But they may need to add weights when they go to balance. So I'm thinking 4-5mm should be good.

But is that too much? I've never done this before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-2013-2...779&vxp=mtr

^^ my calipers. Remember spokes clear. The material has to come off the inside portion of the caliper facing the bore of the wheel.

Last edited:
You can grind them. I've helped guys do them on older Mustangs. The trick is to grind slowly and a little at a time. Grind a little, put the wheel on, rinse repeat until you have enough clearance.

However, it also depends where on the caliper you are grinding. Post up some pics with the caliper marked where you need to grind.

Ideally I would like to take the same amount off almost the entire inside face (facing the bore) of the caliper. Right now only a tiny part touches but as the calipers move in over time I could end up with another scratch if I don't. The inside face is the largest surface on the caliper.

Plus it's such a tight fit I can't really see well enough to rule out any portions of that inside face from needing to be grinded or not. Hence the desire to do that entire surface.

If it's just clearance for weights on the inner lip, you can use sticky weights inward a little. Will take more weight but work out.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Check the Wilwood brake catalog. Upgrade as well as getting a fit.

That's an expensive length to go to rather than a little grinding for clearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back