Best High Mileage Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was confirmed that I had a small rear main seal leak on a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with 67k 3.3L. I've always ran Castrol 5w20 and started noticing consumption around 2 oil changes ago. It leaks around 1/4-1/2 quart in 3000 miles. I am just trying to slow the consumption. I took the van to the Dodge Dealership and they were not able to find a leak. I'd like opinions and comments on the best high mileage oil that could help out with a POSSBILE rear main seal leak. Any recommendations? I

Last edited:
Valvoline Maxlife is highly regarded here. If I needed to use a HM oil I would go with Valvoline or Pennzoil HM oil. Any reason your leaning towards the Castrol HM oil?

I had a 4 cyl caravan that would leak a small amount sometimes from the rear main area and regular pennzoil 5w30 made it go away.

This is anecdotal of course, but I would use it again if I had the same problem.

I have used all the above oils and am currently impressed with PYB HM. It has slowed/stopped leaks in my sons car and none of the others seemed to do anything.

I have used Mobil 1 HM in many cars and I do not believe that it will stop or slow a current leak. I think it may help prevent a leak but I have never seen it stop or slow one.

Last edited:
Maxlife remains the king of HM oils. There are some very strong contenders available these days though. We kinda have two tiers of HM oils these days as well, "thick" for grade and "typical" for grade.

"Thick" for grade: Defy, Pennzoil HM, Castrol HM, Mobil 1 HM.

"Typical" for grade: Maxlife, Mobil Super and I think I am forgetting somebody.

I tend to like the thicker ones myself but I'm a Jeep guy. Have used Maxlife a ton in our other cars, great stuff.

My personal opinion:

1) Maxlife
2) Pennzoil HM
3) Tie Castrol and Defy

Depends on the application though I'd not run Maxlife in my Jeep but it would be my top pick for another vehicle.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Move up to Maxlife 5w30 and add a can of liqui moly motor oil saver too.

+1

ATP AT-205 Reseal also works very well in stopping leaks. Adding it to MaxLife yields surprising results.

Give Defy a try. Just a great all around oil. I'd use 10W-30 or 10W-40 in your application. Of course Defy is available in 5W-20 and 5W-30 too, so pick whatever grade you like.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Give Defy a try. Just a great all around oil. I'd use 10W-30 or 10W-40 in your application. Of course Defy is available in 5W-20 and 5W-30 too, so pick whatever grade you like.

Every store I've visited, the only Defy I see is 5w-30 and 10w-30. I'd love to find it in 10w-40.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I know one thing about HM oils: the ONLY 20w-50 product I've ever seen is Napa's brand. I know Valvoline makes it in Maxlife, but I've never seen it anywhere.
Never seen Castrol GTX 20w50?

Every high mileage oil listed in this thread will work well for you. Get whatever is cheapest.

At only 1/4 to 1/2 a quart per 3000 miles, moving up in weight isn't necessary IMO. Wont hurt, but isn't necessary.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I know one thing about HM oils: the ONLY 20w-50 product I've ever seen is Napa's brand. I know Valvoline makes it in Maxlife, but I've never seen it anywhere.

Only the regular white bottle.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Only the regular white bottle.
Lol sorry I didn't read at right, didn't see HM at first

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Move up to Maxlife 5w30 and add a can of liqui moly motor oil saver too.

+1
My dad had a RMS leak on his 06 LTC. He used VML and Lubra-Moly and the leak was stopped after about 4.5K miles.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back