Synthetic or Conventional for a car that sits alot

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a tractor-trailer, over the road. I am gone for weeks at a time. My 1996 Thunderbird will be used for about a week every month or so. I go out for 4 weeks, home for 4 days. I normally use conventional oil, but due to this thing having under 90k on the clock, I was thinking of using synthetic in it.

For a car that is driven only 4 days a month and then rests the rest of the month, I don't think it really matters. Do you drive it enough to empty the tank of gas during your 4 day home stint? If not, then I would probably add some Stabil to the fuel in the tank and keep it full to minimize water condensation and buildup in the fuel system.

Conventional with yearly changes as long as miles don't exceed 6 or 7 thousand miles.
And be sure to drive it for long enough to evaporate any condensation or fuel on the last drive prior to parking it. This will delay tbn depletion.
Or 2 years on PU or m1 ep

Well some syns have "polar molecules" that stick around better but I'd worry more about a good filter that doesn't drain itself... silicone valve. Motorcraft the obvious choice.

Yea if its less than 5000miles a year then go with a regular oil, maybe semi-syn high mileage like maxlife or Castrol.

I don't think it'll matter much depending on your OCI, and assuming that when you do drive it it'll get warmed up enough to get any water out. How often do you change the oil, and how many miles do you put on it between oil changes?

How many miles per year do you drive? Do you enjoy changing oil? Does cost matter? Does that 19 yr old TBird leak oil? I keep M1 in my 99 Aurora - it has zero leaks. I rarely drive it and haven't changed the oil in 5 years. It holds 8 quarts, runs fine and it will probably be a few more years before I get around to changing it. While I don't mind changing oil, I don't "enjoy" it.

Assuming you allow the car to get to operating temp during each use, I would think you could do an easy yearly OCI with any quality oil.

On an "old" vehicle like this, I say 5000 miles is the thing to go by. Any less than that, conventional.. any more than that, I'd run synthetic. Keep it topped off and drive.

Either way, $17 vs. $27 per year is hardly worth considering.

Originally Posted By: Stephen_G
I drive a tractor-trailer, over the road. I am gone for weeks at a time. My 1996 Thunderbird will be used for about a week every month or so. I go out for 4 weeks, home for 4 days. I normally use conventional oil, but due to this thing having under 90k on the clock, I was thinking of using synthetic in it.

Your car is on the list here mate, I'd have no hesitation in running a synthetic oil in it

https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/recommendation

use the search box to find "thunderbird" and run the recommended grade (you'll have to cross reference the specs into a different brand)

I have yet to even drive it. It was bought sight unseen in MD. I will be driving it a lot during the time I'm at home. Probably enough to get it down to half a tank since I like to travel around my area and have friends a decent distance away.

rest of the car will rot before the oil choice matters.

Just use any oil/filter and change once a year when you know it'll be easy (like middle of july or something).

As for the fuel, for infrequently used car, you can consider only fueling halftank so you don't have as much old gas just getting older when you park it for the next 4weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back