2002 Toyota Tacoma. New radiator. Green coolant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have owned my 2002 Tacoma since new. I've always used Toyota Red coolant which is what it came with from the factory. I just had the radiator replaced. I'd checked with them ahead of time and they said they would use Toyota coolant at the shop. I picked it up and drove home. When I got home I checked the coolant level and now I have green fluid. My question is: is this a problem? Is it going to screw something up if I leave it in my cooling system? Is it ok to leave it as it is now? I had thought about switching to Zerex Asian since it was cheaper, but maybe I will just stick with the green stuff if it isn't going to screw anything up. Thoughts?

If they fully flushed it, and got the block heater core clean and emptied, then you're ok for the short term. Long term, Toyota says that's not good.

Zerex is a little more than factory where I am. It's $16/gallon pre-mix. Toyota Red LLC is $26.50 for concentrate at Carquest, then $1 more for a gallon of distilled water at the grocery. So a few bucks more for zerex. Pentofrost A1 is the same as Toyota LLC red and available at Napa, O'Reillys, and other places. It's a concentrate, not dilute like the Zerex. Not a big price difference either way. I like to mix 55/45, but in TX that may not be important to you.

Personally I would make them flush and change it, or I would.

Last edited:
if they assured you factory Toyota coolant was used, then why are you even asking? I would mess them up...

my thought is, I call my credit card company and say fraud, and it's easy as that, threat them at first then go ahead and call credit card company if they don't replace, always works for me whenever someone tries to strong arm abuse my money.

I have a 98 Tacoma. About 3 years after I bought the truck new, I changed the coolant with Prestone. I did not flush the system, just drained the system and refilled with 50/50 Prestone and water. Prestone was advertised as being compatible with all coolants. WRONG! The Prestone caused an unreal buildup of white sludge and I wound up replacing the radiator. I would flush your system and make very sure all traces of coolant are removed. Then add the coolant of your choice and stick with that coolant forever. I still have my 98 Tacoma, and 205,000 miles and 17 years later it still runs great on Prestone and distilled water.

I'd find a competent shop to do complete fluid exchange and then use Toyota Genuine Fluid 00272-SLLC2 Long Life Coolant. Don't use some kind of "flush" (that might eat away at your water pump gasket, etc."), and/or introduce regular tap water into the system. If you do...you'll have problems later.

"Cooling Systems - Dan Reed, assistant professor of Automotive Technology at Community College of Philadelphia explains how your automobile cooling system works."

https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/car-corner/id525720671?mt=10#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1eAO4DIjU0

Ed

As background, own an 01 Tacoma 3.4L since new, ~148k mi, original rad.

As you are aware by now, despite what the shop told you, they did not use Toyota AF, either the older LL red or SLL pink premix. Both of which are no silicate Asian PHOAT's.

What did they use? Could be a silicated IAC original green. Likely good for ~2years/30k max. Though it wouldn't be my first choice, could be ok for awhile, especially if a complete exchange (old out/new in) was done.

Also 'might' be an All/Makes/Models Dexclone like Prestone which in the rad fill hole looks greenish. Most of those contain 2eha as an inhibitor. It's a known plasticizer and not used in any Asian PHOAT. If the gaskets and orings etc are compatible, that could be ok. Again though wouldn't be my first choice.

As for ZAF, that would the same chemistry type as the the Toyota SLL. Issue with that is it's a premix which means if you want to get all the 'green' out with something like distilled water flush series, you will have to follow with several ZAF d&f's and test the concentration with a tester till the (~50%) is reached. That can be wasteful, more expenisve and take time but it will give you a Long Life service interval using an oe type AF. Had to do similar when stealer use original green with head gasket job, except used Type2

You could use concentrated Toyota LL Red after distilled flush series till clear, then using system capacity spec, top with distilled till ~50% concentration. But the Toy LL red can be pricey and it has a two year/~30K recommended service interval.

Fwiw, last time I did a complete flush of Toy Red and went with Peak Global Lifetime AF full strength and distilled. It's an extended/long life no silicate OAT with no 2eha. Working fine and no plan to touch it for 4-5 years as recommended

I guess step 1 would be to call them this morning and try to get to the bottom of *exactly* what was put in my cooling system--and how much. These are nice guys who have done good work. It may just be a communication issue between the guy in the office that I spoke with and the mechanic who did the work. This isn't the sort of situation I want to go into with guns blazing. I'm not going to assume deliberate deception. The guy had to know I would know the difference between green and red. Regardless, now I just need to know what is actually in the system.

Never monkey with coolants, if they didn't put OEM then put a hold on the CC payment until it is done right. Questions and clarifications can go on an on!!!

I just returned it. They are going to flush it and put in the correct Toyota coolant. The office guy who ordered the parts (and who I talked to) said that he went back there to talk to the tech and still saw the unopened Toyota coolant. The guy just used the wrong stuff. These things happened. He said they would get all of the green coolant out. I pick it up after work today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back