Low oil level light again. Subaru.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

On the way home from a relatively short trip last night, the low oil level light came on, on my 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek. I'm currently at 17300mi and did my last oil change at 15K, with my usual 5qts of Napa synthetic 0w20 oil and a blue Subaru filter.

I let the car sit 5-10min, checked the dipstick to find barely a dot on the stick. 1.5qts took it to the full mark.

I had the same thing happen in March 2014. I had owned the vehicle for about a month and ~1800mi. The low oil level light came on then and it took 1.5qts. I chalked it up at the time to being brand-new and the oil level being at the midway point on the dipstick when new.

I do my own oil changes about every 6K miles and have had to top-up 0.5 to 1qts at odd times. I've probably added 4-5qts of top up oil in 10mo and 17300mi of ownership of this FB20, 5spd manual combo. One quart in 3000mi doesn't bother me horribly, but any more is ridiculous for this segment of vehicle IMO. If it keeps up, she'll be getting run of the mill 5w30.

Wouldn't that be the FB25 engine?

Just look up oil consumption issues with the new Subaru FB25 engine.

Nothing to do with long OCI's a lot of them eat oil right from the start.

I won't buy another Subaru.

You have to start something called a 'consumption test' with a Subaru dealership......I hope it all goes smoothly. It sounds like you're a candidate for a new set of rings or a block replacement.

Good luck, sorry about your luck getting a Subaru lemon.......

Last edited:
This is exactly why I talked my dad out of a Subie, this problem is well known.

The XV uses the FB20. I am familiar with what's involved in dealer oil consumption tests having been involved with other vehicles that had oil usage issues. I have indeed read many other threads on this issue. Some have it, some don't. I would rather take a tack hammer to one of my test-eez than go through a consumption test with my dealer service dept.

My bad in not having kept any records on the top-up oil I've used, timeframes, mileages, etc. If it keeps up, I *may* bring something up.

I've never heard of anyone substituting something like 5w30 for the recommended 0w20. IMO, Subaru boxers and 0w20 are an odd combo.

Last edited:
Unfortunately a qt every 3K isn't going to get you a new engine or even a short block.
I wouldn't be happy either on a new car. Talk to the service manager,they can usually weasel something in the way of a long block with a little creative documentation.

Yeah, it's the FB20. Head to your dealer and ask for the oil consumption monitoring test. You may be within the realm of a warranty claim. Stick up for yourself and write a letter to Subaru if the dealer decides not to fix it.

I'm burning a quart in 3,500 miles, so I won't get a repair.

No consumption test or short block replacement is happening with 1 quart per 3,000+ miles. Going with a higher viscosity oil won't help. You will just have to keep an eye on the oil level and add as needed. I've seen people with far worse than this.

That's my thoughts Trav. I wouldn't even bother at ~1qt/3Kmi. I'd hate to have them attempt at RTVing a new long block into the beast anyway.

Did you have a change in your driving schedule, by any chance?

My 2013 Forester with the FB25 is fine....unless I run high-speed interstate for a long trip. It will behave fine around town, even on expressways, but will randomly gulp a quart of oil on a long highway trip. I haven't figured out exactly what triggers it yet, but it comes and goes.

MMM

Originally Posted By: MichiganMadMan
Did you have a change in your driving schedule, by any chance?

My 2013 Forester with the FB25 is fine....unless I run high-speed interstate for a long trip. It will behave fine around town, even on expressways, but will randomly gulp a quart of oil on a long highway trip. I haven't figured out exactly what triggers it yet, but it comes and goes.

MMM

The majority of the mileage on this vehicle is 65-75mph interstate driving and the 5spd tachs out at 3K+ at those speeds. I would say for me the excessive consumption is intermittent as well.

Last edited:
From what I was reading online on the Forester forums, consumption seems to be more with the manual transmission? Could it be because the engine is always spinning such high RPMs?

There is a Subie with the FB20 engine in my family.
I don't do the maintenance on it but have seen that the oil changes done by the dealer always over fill.

I don't mean a little above the full mark, I'm talking about
an inch or more on the dipstick.
These engine take 5.1 quarts but it looks like they are using more than 6 quarts.

I've owned eight Subaru's and a couple FB25 already:)
First one used ~0.5L per oci, Current one about the same. Our EJ ate more oil of the 10w40 flavour.
Maybe try a catch can on the PCV if there is room - just as a test. Fuji uses aggressive PCV and can have oil mist consumption through PCV. Never overfill (at least a cup under) and check dead cold morning on absolutely vevel ground. Just a Slight pitch away from the DS entrance will read 1/2L low.

As another note - if you get big consumption on the highway it MIGHT be entrained fuel and oil loss - in other words you had big % contamination in the oil. Otherwize its the aggressive volume flow PCV employed or stuck ring issues - very common on conservatively driven passenger cars.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
From what I was reading online on the Forester forums, consumption seems to be more with the manual transmission? Could it be because the engine is always spinning such high RPMs?

The same on nasioc.com but the true cause of the oil consumption remains a mystery AFAIK. My FB20 was one of the early builds and I don't have any issue. The level on the dipstick drops maybe 1/4" in 5 to 6k miles.

Miller- Hard to say. The Forester has a different powertrain.

Reggae- Yes, it seems that's what dealers are doing. Overfilling and then Subaru lowered the recommended OCI from ~7500mi to 6K. No doubt to make the oil loss less visible.

ARCO- It's hard not to drive the [censored] out of an XV. They are not the most powerful beasts. I live in a very hilly area as well.

I have an FB20 in my 2012 Impreza and it doesn't consume any oil over a 12K interval. My family has three other FB-series engines and none of them have consumption issues.

with that (low) rate of consumption, I would rather add a little oil than have a dealer rebuild/re-ring my engine or install a short block. especially with a car so new.

I am one of the lucky ones with zero noticeable consumption. There are a lot of theories out there, including the already mentioned MT vs CVT, break in technique, and manufacture date. The latter theory is shot however with some 14s having issues.

Regardless better start checking your oil more often. Letting it get that low on a regular basis can't be good for the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back