LubriMoly-MOS & Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
jet: i have one can of mos and one can of mos2 in the oil, i did have to add a little bit less than 1/2 quart of oil about 1,000 miles ago. it has not used any more since then.

clevy, that is why i thought i could go to 7500.

ok i will do a few more tanks and see what mpg i get. the weather is supposed to stay normal which is overnight lows in the mid 20's and daytime highs in the upper 30's and some 40's....

i'll take these nice winter temps in the midwest any day!

the car seemed to run smoother at start up this morning(friday) as opposed to yesterday morning(thursday) temps were in the mid 20's overnight for both nights.

only difference was i did not use my car on wednesday for my commute, i drove my truck instead so the car sat 2 nights and one day.

i'll keep making observations albeit subjective.

update:
I have run 3 more tanks through it and am approaching 7500 miles.

MPG recorded were 30.3, 30.6, and a 30.7.

Again decent numbers especially cuz the cold temp's have returned.

I also think that the oil extension may have caused lower mpg numbers as I usually expect around 31 mpg's on my tanks and I normally change oil at 5k, but extended it because of the additives.

I am contemplating my next fill of oil which will be in a week or two and I will reuse the fram ultra.

Last edited:
Honestly, by adding MOS to a HM oil you probably are offsetting the potential MPG gains perhaps the MoS2 would yield on it's own. I'd imagine your oil is closer to a light 30 grade at this point than a 20.

thank you for posting and helping me learn...i appreciate that!

I have a gallon jug of 5w20 in my stash that is mobile super conventional that I can use with just the MOS2 for the next fill.

thank you

Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

I have a gallon jug of 5w20 in my stash that is mobile super conventional that I can use with just the MOS2 for the next fill.

thank you

Now, that would be interesting. I'm also here to learn and providing real-world experiences is a great contribution to the BITOG site! +1 to you.

thumbsup2.gif

PS: I like your combination to be clear, it's just specifically in the MPG area the MOS is closer to a straight 30 if I recall.

Considering that you are using a HM oil spiked with an oil thickener; (albeit a solid additive boost its goal is helping with oil consumption by increasing overall sump viscosity + seal conditioners), it won't have as good MPG numbers side by side to say the conventional spiked with MoS2 on it's own. However, the MoS2 might be doing something for improving this particular OCI mixture had it not been added. Plus, the colder weather, etc. In terms of purely MPG you'd probably technically have best numbers in this weather with a 0w-20 full synthetic.
21.gif

13.gif

Last edited:
I think the one offset the benefit MOS2 is the MOS, the MOS may contains plasticizer that may cause more drag. When I mix MOS with MotorProtect, my ring piston jammed up and mileage drop.
It is only restored after I put Kreen in the oil and I can clearly tellthe engine noise much quieter and the MPG backs to normal.

I am still trying to figure out why liquimoly only recommend motor protect and Ceratec on new engine, and recommend MoS2 on old engine.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad

thank you

Now, that would be interesting. I'm also here to learn and providing real-world experiences is a great contribution to the BITOG site! +1 to you.

thumbsup2.gif

PS: I like your combination to be clear, it's just specifically in the MPG area the MOS is closer to a straight 30 if I recall.

Considering that you are using a HM oil spiked with an oil thickener; (albeit a solid additive boost its goal is helping with oil consumption by increasing overall sump viscosity + seal conditioners), it won't have as good MPG numbers side by side to say the conventional spiked with MoS2 on it's own. However, the MoS2 might be doing something for improving this particular OCI mixture had it not been added. Plus, the colder weather, etc. In terms of purely MPG you'd probably technically have best numbers in this weather with a 0w-20 full synthetic.
21.gif

13.gif

that is great information on the 2 additives! i appreciate your taking the time to mentor a newb on this subject even though it may have already been discussed before. when i started this personal experiment, i wanted to evaluate the MOS for it's ability to reduce leaks and I saw its effect on that, but I also wanted to see if there would be any mileage gains as i could not find where anyone had actually evaluated it for that.

early on while the weather was a bit warmer here in the midwest, i saw a spike in mpg with the additives, but that has not been the norm since then, so i can at least say that I have done some real world testing albeit subjective and share what i have experienced.

as far as the synthetic oil-ow20: i had contemplated doing a fill with synthetic castrol edge 0w20, as i was going to try a bit lower calcium oil to test a theory on possible interaction between the moly and detergent. But I may have to put off that testing until next winter as it appears our temps may moderate a bit here at least in the short term.

you never know, i may just come home with a gallon of that 0w-20 this weekend!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
I think the one offset the benefit MOS2 is the MOS, the MOS may contains plasticizer that may cause more drag. When I mix MOS with MotorProtect, my ring piston jammed up and mileage drop.
It is only restored after I put Kreen in the oil and I can clearly tellthe engine noise much quieter and the MPG backs to normal.

I am still trying to figure out why liquimoly only recommend motor protect and Ceratec on new engine, and recommend MoS2 on old engine.

greetings:

that is an interesting experience. i have not tried the motor protect product you mention. hopefully others can comment on that.

but thanks for adding to my learning curve regarding the plasticizer.

good day

UPDATES:

Had to run a tank of E10 and mileage dropped to near 26 mpg..I try not to run but it is hard to avoid these days. Am back on E0

Went to change the oil today, and if you remember I was going to reuse the fram ultra, however, it appears I over tightened the oil filter and I had a very hard time removing it. I crushed the can pretty good(pics as soon as I can), I decided not to reuse it. I have been doing oil filter changes for over 40 year and have never had this happen! Guess I'm getting old! LOL

Any way, I did not have another ultra and since I live way out in the country, I went with a Purolator classic out of my stash( bitoger's are always prepared).

One more note, I decided to go with the Castrol edge 0w-20(which I had bought earlier in the day on my trip in to town) and there are no additives in the crankcase at this time. I will run a couple or more tankful's before I proceed with adding MOS2 again, so I can resume testing that.

I'll have to keep an eye on my seals for oil leaks and that is my main concern. I know folks will say this is too thin, but I guess I will see.

My first impression of the 0w-20, is wow! that sure makes the engine run smooth. However, I remember having this impression when I first ran mobile synthetic 5w-30 in my pick up truck many years ago.

My observation of the used previous oil(5w-20 HM with MOS and MOS2 additives) was that it still felt oily but a bit thick(both subjective) and I wish I had left it in for a 10k run. Oh well, that's how I learn from my testing.

Last edited:
I have a small rear main leak in my truck and put Mos2 in it
Will this help?
I think I should've used the Mos

You can always do a bit of both. If your using the maxlife as your sig says try half a can of each and go from there. I had a RMS and added a full can of mos to some oil/hm oil blend with ~1/3 can of mos2 and had good results. I would try something like that to start. You might need to adjust down the road. If you are already using mos2 just reduce your dose for maintaining a certain amount of moly and try the motor oil saver.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
I have a small rear main leak in my truck and put Mos2 in it
Will this help?
I think I should've used the Mos

If the 87 Ford is the one with a slight leak i wouldn't use anything that could swell or try and fill the seal, your asking for trouble messing with a seal thats almost 30 years old.

No HM oils, no stop leaks or ester based products. We are not talking HM here wear the seal might be slightly worn and swelling it or softening it might help, this thing is ancient and probably hardened.
There is a real possibility it wont swell or soften but crack and leak like mad.

Keep in mind the rest of the seals are just as old, anything that effects this one will also effect the rest, you don't need that headache.

I just found this thread, very, very interesting and thorough with obeservations..etc..

Any further updates? How did the 0W-20 work out?

There were no problems running the 0w-20 during the winter months, i was however not able to complete any more mileage testing as the car had a bad coil on it(of course i discovered this because my mileage was down) it took me a while to find the problem and replace said coil(i started another thread on the coil).

I have plenty more mos2 and MOS on hand for testing, and in fact am running another blend of the two with 5w-30 HM mobile one right now along with a fram ultra filter for the summer.

In stock for next years winter are ow-30 and ow-20 that i picked up this spring on sale at wally world.

Last edited:
Yeah, when coils go on a car, the mileage tanks!

Had two go on my Tribute, and the mileage just goes to heck.

How is the leaking/consumption?

the engine does use a bit with 5w-20 and 0w-20 oils initially about a half a quart or so within the first 1k miles and then all is good for the duration. and i have gone out to 7500 to 8000 miles with these thinner oils in the winter.

as far as the leaks, i have not had any more problems. either my leaks were not severe and/or the addy's have helped this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back