5000 miles on LM Ceratec..added LM mos2

Status
Not open for further replies.
After running the LM Ceratec for 5000 miles I changed the oil and added the LM mos2. I'll keep an eye on my gas mileage and see if theres any improvement. This is in a 2005 Chevy truck with the 5.3 with 171,000 miles and oil level was down about 1/2 qt at the 5,000 mile change. I use the Valvoline 5w30 HM semi synthetic I get at WM for $18.00 for 5 qts, with the Fram synthetic media filter. I'm planning on doing a UOA at the end of this run. The engine is healthy but I thought I would try this if for no other reason than just for grins and giggles I'll get from trying this 'snake oil' here on BITOG. Thanks

My gas mileage with the Ceratec was between 16 and 16.5, mostly city driving. My truck is a 2wd Chevy Avalanche with 3.42 diff. I didn't see any significant change in my gas mileage with just the Ceratec in the sump. I'm hoping I will with the mos2 after running the Ceratec. The engine has always ran smooth and quiet, even on cold startup with no valve train noise. I've never used any type of oil additive but thought it might be fun to try the LM additives as it seems to get conflicting reviews here. Nowadays it only gets driven about 9 thousand miles a year so it will be a while before I see any results, if any at all.

thanks for posting your observations, i'm interested in your results with the mos2 and the valvoline HM oil as the sample that pqia tested did not show any molybdenum init as opposed to the pennzoil HM oil i am testing with mos and mos2 added.

if you have improved mileage with that combo, i may give it a try.

thanks

on edit:
forgot linky to pqia
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated highmileage2014.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
thanks for posting your observations, i'm interested in your results with the mos2 and the valvoline HM oil as the sample that pqia tested did not show any molybdenum init as opposed to the pennzoil HM oil i am testing with mos and mos2 added.

if you have improved mileage with that combo, i may give it a try.

thanks

on edit:
forgot linky to pqia
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/consolidated highmileage2014.html

Interesting. I run Pennzoil with MoS2 as well. Have often wondered if there would be any "conflict" between the two high level moly's and if I would be better off adding MoS2 to a low moly oil. Then again as far as I understand it they work differently, the MoS2 basically being a solid and all.

KCJeep, J-C , I felt the same way about the mos2 with a HM oil, but as you said I'm hoping the mos2 solids will provide a 'plating' effect

gman2304 - Do you have a previous UOA with which to compare the next UOA?

Too bad you didn't do one post-Ceratec and pre-MoS2 to get a sense of what does what, if anything.

vintageant, I didn't think about doing a post Ceratec/pre mos2 uoa until I had dumped the old oil into two big plastic cat litter jugs that already had some old oil in them. I had the bottles from Blackstone for the uoa and had a senior moment....I hate I forgot and had the ideal situation at hand but.... Hopefully I can get some useful info anyway.

If you see an MPG increase after adding LM or whatever you add, its probably due to a slight shift in driving habits, the wind, cold weather, etc., not anything ever noticeable with those additives. You can only see an MPG change in carefully controlled lab conditions.

Also remember a 10% reduction in engine friction is roughly good for a 1% reduction in MPG. Its possible some additives could drop friction by that 10% amount, although doubtful if you're already using a GF-5 oil thats passed all the low-friction performance specs already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back