Engine assembly pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 Months later I had to go back into it. It had turned out that it did have a the LIM done previously, they just didnt remember. I was able to read the manufature date off the LIM gaskets I pulled and got a date several years after the car was built. I think it was '05 or '06 they were stamped. This was all in '09.
It kept losing coolant. Any coolant I put into it would turn this dingy brown. I was using Peak Global Lifetime, which it amber or gold colored. It would also have a semi-hard start and would miss for several seconds upon startup before smoothing out. I think I did a compression test and it tested out within spec. I don't have the numbers anymore, but I remember I was having difficulty diagnosing the problem. Finally I got one of those kits to pull air out of the radiator through a liquid that turns colors to indicate the presence of exhaust gases. That did it. Bad head gasket.
I suggested replacing the vehicle, my grandmother decided to go ahead with repair.

The head gaskets had been disintegrating. Anywhere the coolant touched would just flake and fall apart if you touched it.

Some context for this image: I discovered the bottom of the block had a significant amount of sediment. I forget exactly now, but I used some 3/8 vinyl tubing duct taped to a Wet/Dry Vac to suck it out of the block. I didnt get it all, but I got a lot.

Between the LIM change out and the HG swap, it got all kinds of other stuff too.
New plugs and wires.
All coolant hoses got swapped. The one I left was one of the hoses under the throttle body and it failed while I was test driving it after the HG swap.
New belt. Idler and tensioner pulleys replaced.
The head had a full valve job done, new valve seals installed, cleaned up and milled flat.
Lots of other stuff.
Less than a year later My Grandmother passed away and my Grandpa almost instantly traded it in on a Cadillac CTS. So someone is driving around in a Montana with a basically new motor that should never have any of the typical 3400 failures ever again. lol

Last edited:
I love drag boats For years I had a Hondo Sprint lake boat. It was time to redo the engine and when the engine was out I got an offer on the boat that made me say Sold! I miss the boat . You have some fancy parts in the engine just from the pictures. Nice !!!

Here is my Lycoming aircraft engine overhaul. The Camshaft failed and caused all sorts of problems. The metal debris ruined everything, including the oil pump.

DSC00149_resize_with_arrow.jpg

engine_oil_pump_surface_resize.jpg

DSC00148_resize.jpg
DSC00146_resize.jpg

DSC00147_resize.jpg

DSC00402_resize.jpg

DSC00426_resize02.jpg

DSC00699_resize.jpg

DSC00751_resize.jpg

DSC00782_resize.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.