I used my new fluid extractor today...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It arrived via UPS after noon today, so I went straight to work on the Buick. I used it to pump out all the ATF that I could (which ended up being 5 quarts) and refilled with Valvoline Max Life. I still have another gallon jug, so Ill pick up an additional quart and repeat the process once more in about 1000 miles or so. The oil extractor is branded "HT MOTO" and seems to be a pretty sturdy unit. It says to pump 10-20 times and let it do the work, but it needed quite a few more pumps along the way to keep things moving quickly. Granted the fluid was stone cold, so it may have only taken 20 pumps if the fluid was warm. I just came back every 5 minutes or so and gave it 10-15 more pumps. It took about 25 minutes max to get all the fluid out. I am pretty impressed and I believe this was a good purchase. A no mess ATF change! Ill be using this on the Uplander and Accord for future ATF changes. Ill still get under the car for oil changes though, thats somewhat therapeutic
wink.gif
. To clean, I just sucked up warm water with a bit of dish soap and sloshed it around, rinsed, dried the exterior than packaged it up in its box for next time. The Buick is shifting smoother than before, but still has room for improvement. Who knows how old that ATF was when we got the car!

Here is a pic I took earlier...
Screenshot_2015-01-22-19-58-321_zpsa6koxtpo.png

Last edited:
I obtained one of the "blue can" extractors a few weeks ago. So far I've done a car, a snowblower and a bike. I think it left a small amount of oil in a 4 cyl Camry, but not enough to worry about. Beats crewling around underneath.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
One of the reviews says '1/2 hour to 1 hour per quart of oil' ... is that what you experienced?

No not at all. Again, it may take that long if you just give it 20 initial pumps and leave it to its own devices. If you go back every 5 minutes or so and give it 10 or so additional pumps, expect COLD fluid to take 25 minutes or so. Next time Ill drive it around and heat up the fluid first and Im sure it will take much less time. I pumped it full of water afterwards to clean it and it took a minute or two to fill the entire canister up.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Awesome! Is there a model number? Where did you buy it?

Got it off Amazon, 2 day free shipping with Prime!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU0MMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I just got a $100 Amazon gift card...interesting...

I say go for it! I love mine.

I am seriously considering it, but am not sure I can justify it. The only use I would have for it would be ATF in the Grand Prix but the fluid in there right now is only about 18 months/20k miles old and is a full syn fluid that doesn't need to be changed until probably 50k at the earliest. The Burb isn't due for another 2.5 years/25k miles and it has a drain plug.

Thanks for sharing and for the pic. This is what makes logging into BITOG fun!

Btw, here's a link to my Drain and Fill calculator spreadsheet. Just plug in the total transmission volume and the drain-fill amount and it'll give you the percentage as well as the extra info such as how much new fluid is sucked out with the old in progressive drains. It's interesting just to see the numbers.

Drain and Fill Calculator

Not gunna lie, I'm intrested and I do want it. However I don't know if I can justify the cost. Its only $50 but at the rate I drive I'll use it one every 3-4 years or I will use it once and onw of my sons will stop by and just assume its Thiers or need to borrow it and never see it again.

It seems like one of thoses things that would be better to rent. It could be useful if your a mechanic but you still have to change the filter.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
Not gunna lie, I'm intrested and I do want it. However I don't know if I can justify the cost. Its only $50 but at the rate I drive I'll use it one every 3-4 years or I will use it once and onw of my sons will stop by and just assume its Thiers or need to borrow it and never see it again.

It seems like one of thoses things that would be better to rent. It could be useful if your a mechanic but you still have to change the filter.

I can do a drain and fill on my Accord because it has a drain plug, but the Buick and Uplander have pans that have to be dropped. Thats not an area I want to delve into, its too messy I would rather have a shop do the work. Having said that, the Uplander had the trans rebuilt 2 years ago so it has a relatively new filter, and the Buick just had the pan dropped and filter replaced at our local shop. So for me, this makes since. I wont have to pay a shop to change the fluid anymore. Just buy the ATF and in 30 minutes or less I have the equivalent of a pan drop without the $$ or mess. I will also be able to use it for oil changes if I so desire.

Awesome! Is there a model number? Where did you buy it?

Got it off Amazon, 2 day free shipping with Prime!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU0MMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for 50.95, I don't mind getting underneath the car...that's expensive.

my ATF changes are 40-60k on a single drain and refill, it will be like 4-6 years where I would get to use that item...

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Looks great, but I am wondering if used for an oil change how much remains at the bottom of the pan.
+1 hey Greg maybe on one of your next oil changes suck the oil out as much as you can and then crawl underneath and see how much comes out the drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back