Lost a coolant line today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently they are not diesel rated. Slow fuel leak, seep really. Never seemed that bad to me. Never dawned in me that it was leaking onto that coolant line. At least it was pretty cool today, made it home ok. Easy line to replace, will have to buy one tomorrow.

Last edited:
Modern coolant hoses are EPDM rubber, they are not resistant to oil or fuel (gasoline or diesel).
Its common with some OE hoses that they have a heat shrink plastic cover when they run near something like an oil filter that could spill oil on it.
You can get this 4" that will shrink down to 2" for oil protection in that area, other sizes are available, get it double what the O.D. of the hose is so it doesnt cause a restriction when shrunk.

http://www.all-spec.com/products/26016-12.html?gclid=CLHJhIH1qMMCFdNj7AodqF4APA

Where is it located? Probably a good idea to replace mine too, especially with our heat. My car has all of the original cooling system except the thermostat was replaced about 5 years ago and I just had the timing belt/water pump replaced about 300 miles ago.

Nick, look under the tandem pump. When facing the engine the tandem pump is on the right side of the cylinder head. Minde has what looks like a flat plate on, with several screw, and a few rubber lines on it. You don't have to remove the engine cover to see it, but it may help.

Thanks Trav, will keep that in mind.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Modern coolant hoses are EPDM rubber, they are not resistant to oil or fuel (gasoline or diesel).
Its common with some OE hoses that they have a heat shrink plastic cover when they run near something like an oil filter that could spill oil on it.
You can get this 4" that will shrink down to 2" for oil protection in that area, other sizes are available, get it double what the O.D. of the hose is so it doesnt cause a restriction when shrunk.

http://www.all-spec.com/products/26016-12.html?gclid=CLHJhIH1qMMCFdNj7AodqF4APA

yes epdm is not very petroleum resistant.

My God, it sure is oily under there. It's never in 10.5 years leaked a drop of oil on the garage floor. Looks like the pump has leaked a little and dirt has gotten stuck onto it. Our pumps have a lifetime warranty from VW since they were a recalled item, but they'll only replace them under warranty if it's leaking fuel (reason they were recalled) but they're not concerned if it leaks oil from the pump unfortunately. Where was your fuel coming from so I can check that area too. I don't see a fuel line above that hose.

2s67fki.jpg

Your hoses are routed slightly different than mine, but that hose right in front looks like it. Follow it under the tandem pump. In that pic you can see the sock that over the hose; mine was soft under that sock. I probably can't pictures until tomorrow.

You sure all is well? The metal flange on the large coolant line looks really wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back