97 Mercedes 320K miles Oil Recommendation Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I'd probably start using the M1 High Mileage 10w-40 variety myself to hopefully prevent leaks, but that's just me.

The Euro 0w-40 formula is a great choice too.

The so called Euro formula 0-40 is the same oil as M1 0-40 sold all over the world and the US. That is per XM.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The Mobil 1 0W40 at Walmart is the no brainer for about $25 a jug.

Unless you'd like to keep a few bucks in your pocket, in which case Castrol 0w-40 at $21 a jug is the no brainer.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dada5
Just bought 97 Mercedes e420 with 320K from friend who's used Mobil 1 on it for last 100K or so, but doesn't remember specifics. Can anyone please recommend a grade and type of motor oil to use? The manual doesn't recommend a grade and it's not written on the oil filler cap. I don't see any leaks on the driveway or anything, so I think things are running pretty well.

Whatever your friend has been using...have you checked with him?

Yes, but he always had the car serviced by a mechanic to include oil changes. I'm trying to avoid asking the mechanic since i plan to keep using the same one for the tough stuff. My friend doesn't know much about the car other than how to drive it. :)

I'd just give him a call,tell him what/who's car you bought,and ask him what oil he'd been servicing the car with. That way you'll know for sure and won't be guessing.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd just give him a call,tell him what/who's car you bought,and ask him what oil he'd been servicing the car with. That way you'll know for sure and won't be guessing.

Darn nice car. I never drove or owned a W210 E-Class; always liked their looks. Ask the mechanic too about the transmission, whether it's been serviced or {gasp!) replaced. 1997 was the first year of the electronic 5-speed auto transmission. It was in my '97 W202 C-Class, so I suppose it would have gone into the E-Class as well.

MB had some units cause trouble. At about 80K miles/10 years mine, which had been fluid-and-filter serviced twice, started refusing at random times to shift out of 2nd during normal driving, would shift with a slam, and then would behave perfectly until the next time. The MB dealer, a local tranny shop, and my regular mechanic couldn't be sure that their $1400 fix would solve the problem. So I traded the car, which had been fine up to then.

I don't want to scare you. If your E420 has made 320K miles, the transmission is surely one of the many good ones. But you might ask about its service.

Very good suggestion, thanks. I will ask and look into at least swapping out the transmission fluid and filter.

Not ready at this point. The interior is pretty clean, but all 4 doors and the trunk lid have rust. Will be looking for advice on repairing them or replacing them after i get things running like they should. Also need to take care of a misfire. Hoping new plugs, wires and coil packs will fix that and the check engine light too!

I'd personally run M1 0w-40 and looks at leaks and consumption, then move to M1 HM 10w-40 if I observed either. [/quote]
Ditto here. Also get that mechanic to change the trans fluid/filter with the proper fluid. Those cars were tanks...just ask MB mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back