What's up with Honda Paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a 3 year old Accord. Paint quality is as good or better our Volvo XC70. Hopefully it stays this way. The Sierra is 20 years old and like new. All paint has been waxed with NuFinish since the vehicles were new:

Last edited:
Also a coworker of mine has a 1990 Accord with red paint. It is original and still looks new. Not sure if he garages it.

52804d1350081674-extended-warranty-paint-read-if-you-have-paint-issues-asd.jpg

I was at work today and the company trucks that have been sitting out side since 2011, 1999 and 1997. All fords. The 2011 f150 looks just like the honda in the op. The 1999 ranger is pealing all over and primer is showing. The 1997 f150 is faded and oxidized but not pealing or cracked.
My friends 2008 rav4 sits out side year round with no waxing or attention. It too has failed and pealing. I don't think it is honda. 5 years straight exposed to the elements will kill just about any paint job. Some will hold up better then others but it damages them all

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Are Fits built in Japan? I wonder if there's something that they can't put in paint in Japan that does this. The horizontal surfaces with OE paint started doing that ~1 yr ago on my car. It looks terrible and a paint job would probably cost as much as the value of my car so I just have to live with it. The FL sun is deadly for paint too.

They used to be, up until 2013. The 2015s are now made in Mexico. I do not believe they made any 2014 Fits, aside from the EVs.

Originally Posted By: OutlawTitan
It looks to me like the mistake was not properly prepping the paint prior to applying Opticoat.

Please explain?

Some colors just aren't good for some reason. I had a Dakota with the same issue. Mine was dark green, which wasn't a warranted color, but the red-painted ones got a warranty extension.

We have a 2005 Acura and a 2008 Honda. The paint on both is still in excellent condition (minus small door dings typical of 7-10 year old vehicles). And both of them were made in North America (the Acura in Canada and the Honda in Ohio). I hadn't heard before that some of the Japanese paint was poor...could be. I prefer my vehicles to be made in North America, so I'll probably never find out.

In my opinion, Honda paint is terrible-ANYTHING will chip it. Of course they use a light undercoat primer so that the chips really stand out on my dark blue Honda. The paint is beautiful otherwise. Had to repaint a fender and the body shop guy was amazed how thin the original paint is. After he was done he said my repainted fender now had more clear coat than the rest of the entire car.
People say all recent cars have the same problem with chipping. Detailers tell me the German cars have the best paint. I think they use a ceramic based clear coat.

I had a 2001 Acura Integra GS-R I bought new back in the day that was Nighthawk Black Pearl. Within a year, little faded paint spots started to show up here and there. Nothing most people would notice, but it bugged the [censored] out of me. It was under the clear coat; you couldn't feel it with a fingernail, but you could see it. I think Honda has always had beautiful, yet thin paint and clear.

Originally Posted By: willbur
In my opinion, Honda paint is terrible-ANYTHING will chip it. Of course they use a light undercoat primer so that the chips really stand out on my dark blue Honda. The paint is beautiful otherwise. Had to repaint a fender and the body shop guy was amazed how thin the original paint is. After he was done he said my repainted fender now had more clear coat than the rest of the entire car.
People say all recent cars have the same problem with chipping. Detailers tell me the German cars have the best paint. I think they use a ceramic based clear coat.

My 3 year old 40,000 mile Accord has zero paint chips on it at all. It seems to be very durable and holding up very well.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Sure, the car was parked outside 24/7 and did not receive a proper exterior detail for the first time until March 2014, but still...

So the car was 5 years old before it received a proper exterior detail and you are surprised the paint is failing? Did the owner wax it at all during this time?

A guy I work with had a silver 09 Lexus IS300 that he probably waxed 2 or 3 times in 5 years and the clear coat was failing on it recently.

It surprises me how many 08-10 cars I see on the road with the clear coat failing.

Any dark color Toyota or Honda is going to look bad 3-4 years down the road if it gets the abuse we pay the government to dish out on out roads every winter. My last 2 Toyotas were dark blue and now black. The dark blue 4Runner showed everything after 4 years and now the Avalon is 3 years old and it had issues as well. But when I bought it I made them give me an extra $1,000 off because it was a black one. They did.

Flip side: 3 Silver Lexus vehicles and a White CRV and Silver Civic all look sparkling new at 200,000 miles later. The last ES350 detailed up so nice the dealer couldn't believe it.

Last edited:
My buddy bought an 06 civic new and it was garaged. It got cracks in the paint on the horizontal surfaces in the first couple years. Honda initially fought him on it but repainted those parts. His was the black color. He was pretty particular about the car being his first new car purchase. Obviously just some poor quality paint.

My daughter has an 07 black Civic - never garaged, lots of sun, and she is not much on car care. Being a West Coast car, it was made in Japan. When washed, clayed, and waxed (not often), it sparkles like new. Does Japan not have to conform to our EPA type standards or just do a better job, or what?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back