Pennzoil High Mileage 5w30 Works Well On Leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
4-1/2 months ago one of the teenagers from around my shop came in with a neglected 1988 oldsmobile cutlass 2.8 with 188,xxx miles on it that he just got from a friend because it leaked oil everywhere. We were busy and i told him to bring it back after the new year and i will help him, we changed the oil and we put in Pennzoil high mileage 5w30 and a new pcv valve he had to add a quart about every two weeks but then after a while he used less and less oil and the leak really slowed down he put about 2900 miles on it since then and the leak is almost stopped except from the oil sender which we replaced today. You can still see oil but it is not leaking nearly as bad as it was. Pennzoil high mileage worked really well on all the seals. I always used PHM and knew it would slow the leak but it is almost stopped and that even suprised me. This kid checks his oil almost every day.lol... It worked pretty quick in my opinion.

High mileage oils seem to be a hit or miss depending on the manufator of the vehicle. Iv always had good success with maxlife. Been using it for 8 years now. I can't wait until places start stocking the pennzoil High mileage pure plus. Synthetic maxlife can be a pain to find.

Wouldn't mind trying a new brand if places can keep it in stock.

I think you did good for the kid, using HM oil in a leaker is a temporary and quick fix, sometime it works sometime it didn't but the extra cost over conventional is only $2-3 so why not try it.

The kid is good too, checking oil level of a leaker almost every day is very prudent.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
4-1/2 months ago one of the teenagers from around my shop came in with a neglected 1988 oldsmobile cutlass 2.8 with 188,xxx miles on it that he just got from a friend because it leaked oil everywhere. We were busy and i told him to bring it back after the new year and i will help him, we changed the oil and we put in Pennzoil high mileage 5w30 and a new pcv valve he had to add a quart about every two weeks but then after a while he used less and less oil and the leak really slowed down he put about 2900 miles on it since then and the leak is almost stopped except from the oil sender which we replaced today. You can still see oil but it is not leaking nearly as bad as it was. Pennzoil high mileage worked really well on all the seals. I always used PHM and knew it would slow the leak but it is almost stopped and that even suprised me. This kid checks his oil almost every day.lol... It worked pretty quick in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing crazyoildude! Always nice to hear about a Pennzoil success stories! - The Pennzoil Team

Wouldn't the new PCV valve have more to do with slowing the leaks than the oil?

I know on my Audi, if the PCV system freezes up in cold it will drink oil and blow out cam seals and plugs.

It worked great slowing down the leak in my Firebird as well. I'd highly recommend it. In fact, I haven't seen any drips in the garage in months, even after switching brands again.
smile.gif

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I actually just bought a jug of this stuff. Been using Mobil1 HM for some time now (have had good results but it is still leaking a little.) Wanted to try something new to see if it works. I will also be replacing the PCV valve which will also help a great deal.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Great story. Thanks for sharing. I actually just bought a jug of this stuff. Been using Mobil1 HM for some time now (have had good results but it is still leaking a little.) Wanted to try something new to see if it works. I will also be replacing the PCV valve which will also help a great deal.

I used Mobil 1 HM before switching to Pennzoil HM and the Pennzoil slowed the leaks almost immediately, whereas the Mobil 1 HM did nothing in 3,000 miles. I switched back to the M1HM after the leak stopped, however, and it hasn't continued to leak.

Hey Gena, how about making Ultra available to the common masses? Better yet, how about your HM w/Pure Plus?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

I used Mobil 1 HM before switching to Pennzoil HM and the Pennzoil slowed the leaks almost immediately, whereas the Mobil 1 HM did nothing in 3,000 miles. I switched back to the M1HM after the leak stopped, however, and it hasn't continued to leak.

Did you notice any difference on which oil your engine "likes" per se (smoothness/quietness)?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

Did you notice any difference on which oil your engine "likes" per se (smoothness/quietness)?

They felt the same, to be honest.

I remember phm helping with a seeping front main on my first car a 96 cougar with a 3.8. Lol now lets hope someone doesnt convince the kid that the pennzoil created sludge that blocked the leak and he'll be all set.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Hey Gena, how about making Ultra available to the common masses? Better yet, how about your HM w/Pure Plus?

Hi OilChanger - If you aren't able to purchase Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from your local retailer, the product can be purchased from Amazon.com. We also have begun producing Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage with PurePlus Technology specifically formulated to reduce leaks and oil consumption in older vehicles. Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage with PurePlus Technology is currently available at AutoZone retailers in 5W-20 and 5W-30 viscosity grades and will be rolling out to more major retailers over the next year. – The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Hi OilChanger - If you aren't able to purchase Pennzoil Ultra Platinum from your local retailer, the product can be purchased from Amazon.com. We also have begun producing Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage with PurePlus Technology specifically formulated to reduce leaks and oil consumption in older vehicles. Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage with PurePlus Technology is currently available at AutoZone retailers in 5W-20 and 5W-30 viscosity grades and will be rolling out to more major retailers over the next year. – The Pennzoil Team

Hoping the Platinum High Mileage is available in May at Walmart - it'll be my next oil purchase for my accord, if not I'm trying the Havoline Pro DS synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back