GMC vs Chevrolet, are you really different though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Back in the day, GMC used a 305 V6

There hasn't been a significant mechanical difference in a long time.

Beat me to it. Some of them came with plaid valve covers

Differences are essentially cosmetic. Same platforms.

The answer to why GM didn't axe GMC when getting rid of some nameplates is actually simple. As a Chevrolet dealer, you've essentially got a full lineup of vehicles, cars and trucks. Not so if you are Buick dealer - but if you want to be able to sell trucks too, a Buick/GMC dealer has a pretty full lineup.

The only difference now is trim and packaging.

Into the 1960s, GMC trucks did get different engines from Chevy trucks. By the 1970s, it was all badges and packaging. They roll off the same assembly lines, and use the same part numbers for shared parts.

Originally Posted By: philipp10
I had a co-worker with a GMC Suburban who claimed it was the same as a Chevrolet, but with everything upgraded....lol. Homestly I don't think he had a clue.

Honestly... I can't tell if there is an unforeseen joke in here or not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think about a dozen years ago, GMC offered 4 wheel steering while Chevy didn't?

I remember that being a Denali badged unit

Originally Posted By: philipp10
reminds me of an incident at Wallyworld. I have a new car and the oil filter was so tight I could budge it. So I decide I'll have the first change done at Walmart. They do the change and when I go to pick it up, they comment on my battery being weak. Apparently they took the liberty to do a CCA test on it. I ignored the test as the car starts fine and I am not about to march into the dealer for a battery that works. I was not pleased that they did the test at all. Just a bunch of high school kids in the place and they go and disconnect my battery to run an un-authorized test....whatever.

I worked at a tire store where the battery test was SOP and the printout went in the "permanent record" for that car along with, of all things, its old oil filter gasket.

If I didn't like that policy, there was always the unemployment line.

And I didn't disconnect the battery to test it.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think about a dozen years ago, GMC offered 4 wheel steering while Chevy didn't?

I remember that being a Denali badged unit

Quadrasteer was available on Silverados and Sierras. You could get an otherwise fairly plain Silverado LS with it.

When I bought my Sierra last summer, I looked at both GMC and Chevy. The deciding factor for me was the amount of factory cash that went with the GMC. $4500 vs the $3000 for Chevy. It was difficult for me to compare apple to apples between the two, given the mind-numbing amount of equipment packages each offered but it appeared the GMC cost a little more for the same attributes vs the Chevy. With the extra cash, it was cheaper for me to get the Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back