Charged for 2 months' power -- not in my name!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose there really isn't much one can do against a monopoly like Entergy, but . . .

Early last October I noticed I hadn't received a bill for electric power. I checked and found my July bill, for June's power, was the last one -- and it read, "This is your final bill." Well, I certainly hadn't canceled my power, so I called. It seems my apartment complex had recently gotten new management, and they took the account out of my name. I was naturally concerned they might decide to stop my power, so I called Entergy and got a new account established. No one mentioned a word about my having to pay for the two months where the power was not in my name.

So I'm going along, paying my power as I always do. Today I get a bill with a balance due of $149, for -- customer service tells me -- the power in August and September. When, I repeat, this account was no longer in my name.

Of course they can't give me the name of anyone higher up in the chain to explain this to. And I know if I complain to the apartment complex, they'll laugh.

They've "kindly" set up a 4-payment plan with no interest or late fees (though I have to call them each month after I make my payment, to tell them I've done it -- rather like checking in with one's parole officer, I gather). I can pay the bill. But I don't think I should have to pay for someone else's mistake. Is there anything I can do aside from hiring a lawyer?

How's your lease read?

I had this happen with the phone company-- I moved out of my dorm room for the summer and "transferred the billing" to the next party, as opposed to "disconnecting the service". The local phone bill went to the new guy but in a twist of deregulating nirvana the long distance charges remained my responsibility, and repeated phone calls and letters never straightened it out.

It went to collections, where it stayed, never paid. I still got my home mortgage, so, there's that.
wink.gif

On topic, my first apartment, when I moved out, I called the poco to "disconnect my power". They couldn't do that as it reverted to my landlord, but due to privacy reasons, they couldn't tell me that was what was going to happen.

I'd have to look the lease over. But it was the change of management to the current group of morons (the previous group were also morons, but that's not important right now). I didn't tell them I was leaving my apartment, because I wasn't, and my lease at that time was still in force and remained so until I re-upped in November.

These are the same idiots who tried, right after they climbed in the saddle, to bill me for two covered parking spaces, when I've never had even one. As it happened, that was easily worked out, since it wouldn't cost them anything.

Although the account wasn't in your name, if you used the power and the lease says you're responsible for electric, I don't think there is much you can do.

At least they offered up a payment plan and you didn't get your electric turned off at any point! Do you know if any neighbors had this happen too?

What bothers me is that the apartment morons could repeat this at any time, and if I didn't notice immediately, I'd have to go through all this again.

They probably mistakenly gave the power company your unit number instead of a vacant unit that they wanted billing changed into their name. Unfortunately this could probably happen at any point when someone moves out and they mix up the unit numbers. But yeah, sounds like a bunch of morons.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Although the account wasn't in your name, if you used the power and the lease says you're responsible for electric, I don't think there is much you can do.

At least they offered up a payment plan and you didn't get your electric turned off at any point! Do you know if any neighbors had this happen too?

"I don't know who my neighbors are; there's bars on my windows and bars on my heart --"

I can ask around. And I have every intention of doing up a little flyer explaining this and warning people, and handing them out around the complex. Maybe they'll be swamped by residents complaining.

I'm not sure I understand, they management changed the name of the account for 2 months, and during that entire time you were living there?

If that's right, management are still wrong for changing it at all, but I see no reason you shouldn't pay for the electricity you used, whether it's added to the rent, or paid directly to the utility.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I'm not sure I understand, they management changed the name of the account for 2 months, and during that entire time you were living there?

If that's right, management are still wrong for changing it at all, but I see no reason you shouldn't pay for the electricity you used, whether it's added to the rent, or paid directly to the utility.

Yes, that's right; I was still living there and paying rent. If I'd been the one to take my name off the account, I'd cheerfully pay the amount -- but I didn't take my name off.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
This is why I have never rented an apartment, and probably never will. Too much aggravation & hoops to jump through!

Well, my only other choice -- at the moment, and for quite a few years back -- would have been sleeping on a park bench. In which case I wouldn't be driving a car, let alone typing on BITOG.

So someone decided to take over the power. Cool.

In your place I would send copies showing the "final bill" notice, and the later bill showing the "welcome new service" notice. Along with a letter that you are not responsible for the intervening time with a revised amount that you owe based on those dates.

Or just pay for what was used and send a letter to management that if it happens again you will not be responsible for the time it was not in your name.

Your state I'm sure has a Public Utilities Commission and a "Comsumer Affairs Office' within the state Attorney General. Try both. They may have an email process to submit a complaint.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Your state I'm sure has a Public Utilities Commission and a "Comsumer Affairs Office' within the state Attorney General. Try both. They may have an email process to submit a complaint.

The PSC here has a long tradition of graft and incompetence, but I've looked up my district commissioner and will give his office a call (there's no email address listed).

And the Attorney General? His website says, "Our office does not handle disputes regarding: utility companies, cable companies, cellular telephones, insurance claims, elected or public officials, state or municipal agencies, child support claims, employee - employer disputes, or licensed professionals (doctors, dentist, attorneys, etc.). If we receive a dispute that we cannot handle, we will refer it to the proper agency." (In other words, don't bother us, we're goin' fishin'.)

If it was you that used the power I don't really see what the problem is. Especially if they are not charging any fees. Didn't you wonder who was paying for it when you did not get a bill?

Just think of it as deferred charges.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

The PSC here has a long tradition of graft and incompetence, but I've looked up my district commissioner and will give his office a call (there's no email address listed).

And the Attorney General? His website says, "Our office does not handle disputes regarding: utility companies, cable companies, cellular telephones, insurance claims, elected or public officials, state or municipal agencies, child support claims, employee - employer disputes, or licensed professionals (doctors, dentist, attorneys, etc.). If we receive a dispute that we cannot handle, we will refer it to the proper agency." (In other words, don't bother us, we're goin' fishin'.)
SO where IS the swamp? Never hurts to know the state.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If it was you that used the power I don't really see what the problem is. Especially if they are not charging any fees. Didn't you wonder who was paying for it when you did not get a bill?

Just think of it as deferred charges.

The problem is that the complex office took the account out of my name and put it in theirs. If they wanted the account so badly, it seems to me they should pay for it.

You know as well as I do that something that doesn't make an appearance makes less of an impression than something that does. No bill? But life goes on and weighs down on you with one thing and another. You're sure you paid that bill, you dropped it through the slot at the utility company office. But then a second month comes along, no bill, and you start to wonder, "What's going on here," and you check and see. "This is your final bill"! As soon as I saw that, I called them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back