Oil filter..go cheap or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up with around 80 quarts of the AZ $1 oil. Enough to do money/time..so i may as well stock up.

Same filter will cover 2 of the vehicles in my fleet..so i can justify 12 filters.

Theory #1- Go with Napa Gold when they go on sale, or use AAP discounts for the Pure 1 14610. Should be able to get either @ around $5 each

Theory #2- Buy online/ebay- Union Sangyo @ $3.16 each. or Hyundai/Kia for around $4

Obviously alot of people choose #2 as there are plenty of sales and a penny saved is a penny earned..

My personal vote is to probably wait on the Napa Gold Sale.

What would you do?

Napa gold for sure. I doubt you'll do more than 3 changes a year, the extra $2 per filter = max of $6 extra a year.

Haven't seen any teardowns of union sangyo filters, they're made in Malaysia to "Japanese standards" but who knows until some people do used filter tear downs.

Also, there are no filter specs on union sangyo's website. All they have is "Japanese quality" reputation. Wix is a proven brand with detailed specs on their site.

Personally, I get a Fram Ultra or P1 if I need to top up my cart at AAP. For me - I'd run them our 2 oil changes and the cost will be about even with the cheaper ones.

Go for broke. Take out a loan for six bucks a year and get the NAPA filters. You can make the loan payments by skipping a cigarette every now and then. The sun will shine and you will live happily ever after.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Napa gold for sure. I doubt you'll do more than 3 changes a year, the extra $2 per filter = max of $6 extra a year.

Haven't seen any teardowns of union sangyo filters, they're made in Malaysia to "Japanese standards" but who knows until some people do used filter tear downs.

Also, there are no filter specs on union sangyo's website. All they have is "Japanese quality" reputation. Wix is a proven brand with detailed specs on their site.

I looked for cut opens also. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1691241 seems to be on par.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
I ended up with around 80 quarts of the AZ $1 oil. Enough to do money/time..so i may as well stock up.

I will presume your engine(s) is/are in good shape and not sludgers.
I will presume a typical 5k mile OFCI.

at 5k mile OFCIs, that's around 100k miles of changes. (based upon your estimate of 20)

5k mile OCIs can be well served by most any reasonable filter; no need for anything extreme.

If you're into saving money, get "cheap" (your words) and be happy. By cheap, I do NOT mean inferior to the point of being a risk; don't buy something off ebay that is likely a counterfeit, etc. I mean get a case of filters on sale such as OCOD, ProSelect, M/Cs, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Originally Posted By: HKPolice

I looked for cut opens also. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1691241 seems to be on par.

No used tear downs, that's what matters. Does the ADBV stay pliable? Does the media tear or get wavy? No mention of filtering performance or bypass valve PSI on their website either. Not worth the savings.

My favorite budgets filters are Napa ProSelects, Napa Silver/ Oreilly Microgards and Motorcraft. Cant go wrong with either of these and they are cheap!

As said though, topping off AAP orders with filters is a great idea. I can usually get an Ultra for "free" with the promo codes after I added it to my order of other stuff. That being said, I find myself having to buy enough stuff from them to where I never have to go out and just buy an oil filter.. I can always get them with orders.

Last edited:
Many folks choose to spend as little as possible on maintenance and consumables (e.g., filters) seemingly
with no ill effects before their vehicles are unloaded, traded in, or relegated to the recycle bin.

I’m not one in the aforementioned group but ultimately it’s a personal choice, even amongst BITOGers.

Originally Posted By: splinter
Many folks choose to spend as little as possible on maintenance and consumables (e.g., filters) seemingly
with no ill effects before their vehicles are unloaded, traded in, or relegated to the recycle bin.

I’m not one in the aforementioned group but ultimately it’s a personal choice, even amongst BITOGers.

In my state it's considered a matter of pride to stick the second owner of your car and brag about it. Proves you're smarter, they think. Nothing annoys them more than to sell a car some expert told them was terminally ill and see the new owner get another 100k out of it.

Do a cross reference to see what Motorcraft filter will fit and use them. Under 4 bucks at Wally World and great filters.

if you're going to get a case, I'd vote
get a case of OEM from the cheapest online Dealer for your Make (an actual parts department, and doesn't have to be EBAY).

At the same time, bundle in other OEM maintenance items that you want to amortize shipping, like wiper blades, or pcv valves, air/cabin filters, or whatever you can think of.

Last edited:
Napa Silver (as mentioned already) made by Wix is $2.30 for our Lexus, and about $2.50/ea for the Acura at our local Napa store. Hard to beat that. That's the everyday price, not a special sale or bulk deal.

Alternatively, sometimes I order Wix or Denso in bulk when ordering from RockAuto (again, already mentioned by someone).

These are really simple, inexpensive, high quality options.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
if you're going to get a case, I'd vote
get a case of OEM from the cheapest online Dealer for your Make (an actual parts department, and doesn't have to be EBAY).

At the same time, bundle in other OEM maintenance items that you want to amortize shipping, like wiper blades, or pcv valves, air/cabin filters, or whatever you can think of.

OEM Honda A01(filtech) would be a good choice, but im personally not a fan of the new A02 (honeywell). Not really looking to chase A01 filters and for the same money I can get a wix or puro.

Napa Silvers are around $3.50 with my commercial discount. Nice filter for the money.

Most cars only ever see cheap jobber filters or ecores and still run forever. I only spend more on filters if I know i'm going to be running it more than 5k - 6k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back